Inventory of the School of Engineering Reference Collection, 1913-ongoing
The School of Engineering Reference Collection contains files of clippings, articles, bulletins, reports, publications, and other materials about the School of Engineering. This collection was compiled from a variety of sources by the University Archives for use in reference and research.
- University Archives, Duke University
- Duke University. University Archives.
- School of Engineering Reference Collection, 1913-ongoing
- Language of Material
- 0.7 Linear Feet, 650 Items
- For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.
Patrons must sign the Acknowledgement of Legal Responsibility and Privacy Rights form before using this collection.
Collection is open for research.
Copyright for Official University records is held by Duke University; all other copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
taken from Pratt School of Engineering website: http://www.pratt.duke.edu/about/history.php
The Pratt School of Engineering traces its history back to 1851 when Normal College, a forerunner of Duke University, advertised a Classical course which included engineering for seniors. Normal College became Trinity College in 1859 and engineering was introduced in 1887 and became a regular course offering in 1903.
When Trinity became Duke University in 1924, engineering underwent vigorous development.
|1927||Civil and Electrical Engineering departments were established. Classrooms/labs located in Asbury building on East campus. Engineering students were housed in Southgate building on East campus.|
|1931||Mechanical Engineering department established.|
|1937||Departments of CE, EE, and ME were administratively grouped to form the Division of Engineering.|
|1939||The University incorporated the Division of Engineering into the College of Engineering.|
|1946||First women to graduate from the College of Engineering: Muriel Theodorsen Williams (EE) and Marie Foote Reel (EE).|
|1947||Male Engineering students relocated to West Campus.|
|1948||College of Engineering moves to West Campus and begins classes in new Engineering Building (Old Red), now Hudson Hall.|
|1960||Doctor of Philosophy degree first offered in Electrical Engineering.|
|1964||Doctor of Philosophy first offered in Civil Engineering.|
|1966||College of Engineering changed to School of Engineering.|
|1968||First black engineers to graduate from School of Engineering: Kenneth Spaulding Chestnut (CE) and Alfred J. Hooks (ME).|
|1971||Department of Biomedical Engineering established — First BME Department established at a university in the United States — set the stage nationally for other BME Departments.|
|1984||Nello L. Teer Library Building opens.|
|1992||Engineering building, (Old Red) named Hudson Hall to honor Fitzgerald S. "Jerry" Hudson E'46.|
|1994||Levine Science Research Center opens.|
|1999||Kristina M. Johnson becomes first woman dean. Duke University School of Engineering named the Edmund T. Pratt Jr. School of Engineering for Edmund T. Pratt Jr. E'47.|
|2004||Construction was completed on the Center for Interdisciplinary Engineering, Medicine and Applied Sciences in August. Pratt hosts dedication on November 18, 2004. Duke's Board of Trustees approve renaming CIEMAS in honor of Michael and Patty Fitzpatrick. CIEMAS is now formally known as the Fitzpatrick Center for Interdisciplinary Engineering, Medicine and Applied Sciences, informally dubbed the Fitzpatrick Center.|
- Duke University. School of Engineering.
- Duke University. School of Engineering--Alumni and alumnae--Directories.
- Duke University. School of Engineering--History.
- Duke University--Students.
- Engineering--Study and teaching (Higher)--North Carolina--Durham.
- Pratt School of Engineering (Duke University)
- Aleksandar Sedmak Vesic papers, circa 1950-1982. (University Archives, Duke University.)
- American Society of Civil Engineers, Duke University Chapter records, 1932-1983 (bulk 1944-1970). (University Archives, Duke University.)
- Otto Meier, Jr., records and papers, 1931-1979. (University Archives. Duke University. )
- School of Engineering records, 1931-1998. (University Archives, Duke University.)
[Identification of item], School of Engineering Reference Collection, University Archives, Duke University.
The School of Engineering Reference Collection was compiled from various sources by University Archives staff for reference and research.
Processed by Archives Staff, February 2008
Encoded by Sherrie Bowser, February 2008
Updated by Kimberly Sims, August 2010
Updated by Molly Bragg, August 2011
Accessions were merged into one collection, described in this finding aid.
Descriptive sources and standards used to create this inventory: DACS, EAD, NCEAD guidelines, and our local Style Guide.
This finding aid is NCEAD compliant.