Guide to the Erasmus Club Records, 1926-1986
The Erasmus Club was a campus literary society which organized in 1926 for the encouragement of study and research in language and literature, and later, the humanities in general.
The collection contains minutes, correspondence, memoranda, students' essays, financial records, announcements and other material. It ranges in date from 1926-1986.
- University Archives, Duke University
- Duke University. Erasmus Club.
- Erasmus Club Records, 1926-1986
- Language of Material
- 1.5 Linear Feet, approx. 1,000 Items
- For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.
The collection includes minutes, correspondence, memoranda, students' essays, financial records, announcements and other material. There are scattered lists of speakers and topics, of joint meetings with the faculty of UNC, and of papers submitted. The minutes for the period of 1926-1938 are in a bound volume which also includes correspondence, notes and newspaper clippings. Minutes for 1938-1960 are loose and arranged chronologically by academic year, although there are some gaps. Scattered minutes for later years can be found in the Secretary's files. Student essays submitted for the prize make up half the collection. Where known, the winning entry and runner-up are arranged chronologically. The remainder are arranged alphabetically by the author's last name. The material ranges in date from 1926-1986.
Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection.
Collection is open for research.
In off-site storage; 48 hours advance notice is required for use.
Copyright for Official University records is held by Duke University; all other copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
The Erasmus Club was a campus literary society which organized in 1926 for the encouragement of study and research in language and literature, and later, the humanities in general. It was sometimes called the Erasmus Philology Club. Membership was open to faculty members and to those recommended by faculty. The club sponsored readings and other presentations and usually met annually with the Philological Club of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
Beginning in 1943, the Erasmus Club awarded a prize for the best undergraduate essay in the humanities. Winners included Reynolds Price (1954) and Fred Chappell (1961). The Club was dissolved in 1986 due to a lack of interest.
- Columbian and Hesperian Literary Society Records (Duke University Archives)
- Faculty Reference Collection (Duke University Archives)
- Faculty Records (Duke University Archives)
- Faculty Club Records (Duke University Archives)
[Identification of item], Erasmus Club Records, Duke University Archives, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University.
The Erasmus Club Records were received by the University Archives as a transfer in 1964 and 1982.
Processed by Archives Staff, March 2007
Encoded by Kimberly Sims, January 2008
Accessions A64-170 and A82-4 were merged into one collection, described in this finding aid.
Descriptive sources and standards used to create this inventory: DACS, EAD, NCEAD guidelines, and our local Style Guide.
This finding aid is NCEAD compliant.