Guide to the Founders' Society Reference Collection, 1980-1997
The Founders' Society was created in 1980 to honor individuals, corporations, foundations, and organizations whose gifts of endowment have strengthened and ensured continuing excellence for Duke University. This collection was compiled from a variety of sources by the University Archives for use in reference and research.
- University Archives, Duke University
- Duke University. University Archives
- Founders' Society Reference Collection, 1980-1997
- Language of Material
- 0.5 Linear Feet, 500 Items
- For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.
Collection contains programs, invitations, speeches, lists of members, menus and other materials relating to the operation of the Founders' Society. Materials present range in date from 1980-1997.
Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection.
Collection is open for research.
Copyright for Official University records is held by Duke University; all other copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
The Founders' Society was created in 1980 to honor individuals, corporations, foundations, and organizations whose gifts of endowment have strengthened and ensured continuing excellence for Duke University. Founders' Society members are honored by the University: through recognition at a special presentation during Founders' Day Weekend; through invitations to special events and programs relating to the initiatives they support; through the Founders' Society banquet; and with the presentation of a replica The Sower statue. Numbering 193 at its inception in 1980 membership reached more than 1550 by 1995. The Founders' Society ended in 2004.
- H. Keith H. Brodie, President, Records, 1963 - 1994. (University Archives. Duke University.)
- Nancy Hanks Papers, 1894-1987 (bulk 1945-1983) (Duke University. David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- Records and Papers of Terry Sanford, 1945-1998 (University Archives. Duke University.)
[Identification of item], Founders' Society Reference Collection, Duke University Archives, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University.
The Founders' Society Reference Collection was compiled by University Archives staff from a variety of sources.
Processed by Archives Staff, March 2007
Encoded by Sherrie Bowser, January 2008
Accessions were merged into one collection, described in this finding aid.
Descriptive sources and standards used to create this inventory: DACS, EAD, NCEAD guidelines, and our local Style Guide.
This finding aid is NCEAD compliant.