Guide to the Gilbert-Addoms Residence Hall Records, 1957-1992 (bulk 1991-1992


Gilbert-Addoms Residence Hall is a freshman dormitory on East Campus.

Contains the records of activities of residents Gilbert-Addoms Residence Hall. Types of materials include flyers, newsletters, agendas, notes, calendars, and damage reports. Major topics include residential living, Duke University, and social activities among students. The collection also contains accounting materials related to Addoms House. Materials date from 1957-1992 (bulk 1991-1992).

Descriptive Summary

University Archives, Duke University
Duke University. Gilbert-Addoms Residence Hall.
Gilbert-Addoms Residence Hall records 1957-1992 (bulk 1991-1992)
Language of Material
0.2 Linear Feet, 200 Items
For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.

Administrative Information

A majority of collections are stored off site and must be requested at least 48 business hours in advance for retrieval. Contact Rubenstein Library staff before visiting. Read More »

warning Access Restrictions

Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection.

In off-site storage; 48 hours advance notice is required for use.

warning Use Restrictions

Copyright for Official University records is held by Duke University; all other copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.

Contents of the Collection

Account Ledger, 1957/1958-1967/1968 (Addoms House)
Box 1
Constitution of Addoms House, undated
Box 1
Budget Reports, 1957-1968 (Addoms House)
Box 1
Alison Stuebe for President fliers, 1991
Box 1
Council of Freshman Presidents, 1991-1992
Box 1
Damage reports, 1991-1992
Box 1
Evaluations, 1992
Box 1
House Council, 1991
Box 1
Newsletters, 1991-1992
Box 1
Programming, 1991-1992
Box 1
Social activities, 1991-1992
Box 1

Historical Note

Gilbert-Addoms Residence Hall opened in 1957 and is constructed of buff brick with limestone trim. Its name commemorates two outstanding scholars who began teaching at Duke with the founding of the Woman's College: Dr. Katherine Everett Gilbert and Dr. Ruth Margery Addoms. In 1930, the new West Campus opened and what had been the Trinity College campus (now East Campus) became the Woman's College.

Gilbert-Addoms, the largest dormitory on East Campus, is home to freshman undergraduate students. Gilbert-Addoms is located between Southgate and Blackwell Residence Halls.

Subject Headings

Related Material

  • Alspaugh House Records (Duke University Archives)
  • Association of Independent House Records (Duke University Archives)
  • Baldwin Federation Records (Duke University Archives)
  • Bassett Residence Hall Records (Duke University Archives)
  • Brown House Records (Duke University Archives)
  • Few Federation Records (Duke University Archives)
  • Giles House Records (Duke University Archives)
  • House CC Records (Duke University Archives)
  • Jarvis House Records (Duke University Archives)
  • Mirecourt House Records (Duke University Archives)
  • Pegram House Records (Duke University Archives)
  • Warwick House Records (Duke University Archives)
  • Wilson House Records (Duke University Archives)
  • York House Records (Duke University Archives)

Preferred Citation

[Identification of item], Gilbert-Addoms Residence Hall Records, Duke University Archives, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University.


The Gilbert-Addoms Residence Hall Records were received by the University Archives as a transfer in 1979 and 1995.

Processing Information

Processed by Emily Glenn, January 2003

Encoded by Kimberly Sims, June 2006

Accessions A79-126 and A95-51 are described in this finding aid.

Descriptive sources and standards used to create this inventory: DACS, EAD, NCEAD guidelines, and our local Style Guide.

This finding aid is NCEAD compliant.