Menu

Guide to the Giles House Records, 1932-1980

Abstract

Giles House is a student residence hall on East Campus.

Contains the records of Giles House, a residence hall for students at Duke University. Types of materials include correspondence, minutes, and a record of visitors. Topics of materials include student life, Duke University history, residential living, and women college students. Materials range in date from 1932-1980. The bulk of the material ranges in date from 1961-1966.

Descriptive Summary

Repository
University Archives, Duke University
Creator
Duke University. Giles House.
Title
Giles House records, 1932-1980
Language of Material
English
Extent
0.2 Linear Feet, 120 Items
Location
For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.

Administrative Information

A majority of collections are stored off site and must be requested at least 48 business hours in advance for retrieval. Contact Rubenstein Library staff before visiting. Read More »

warning Access Restrictions

Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection.

In off-site storage; 48 hours advance notice is required for use.

warning Use Restrictions

Copyright for Official University records is held by Duke University; all other copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.

Contents of the Collection

"House Party" poem, undated
Box 1
Infirmary complaints, 1965-1966
Box 1
3. Meeting minutes, ca. 1965-1966
Box 1
Oath of house officers, undated
Box 1
President's repost, ca. 1961-1962
Box 1
Rules, quiet hours and open house, ca. 1966
Box 1
Record of visitors, 1932-1980
Box 1

Historical Note

Completed in 1928, Giles House was first known as Dormitory No. 1. Its construction was funded by J.B. Duke's donations for rebuilding the Trinity College campus and creating a new campus to the west. Dormitory No. 1 was designed to accommodate approximately 110 people. Like the other dorms in the Georgian quadrangle, it originally contained fifty single rooms, thirty double rooms, three parlors, a kitchenette, a pressing room, a reception room, a suite for the head of the house, and offices. In 1930, the dormitory was renamed in honor of sisters Mary, Theresa, and Persis Giles. The Giles sisters graduated in 1878 as the first women granted degrees by Trinity College since the college began admitting women as regular students in 1866.

The Giles Residence Hall is located on the East Campus quad between Lilly Library and the Carr Building. Giles is currently a co-educational residence hall.

Subject Headings

Related Material

  • Alspaugh House Records (Duke University Archives)
  • Association of Independent House Records (Duke University Archives)
  • Baldwin Federation Records (Duke University Archives)
  • Bassett Residence Hall Records (Duke University Archives)
  • Brown House Records (Duke University Archives)
  • Few Federation Records (Duke University Archives)
  • Gilbert-Addoms Residence Hall Records (Duke University Archives)
  • House CC Records (Duke University Archives)
  • Jarvis House Records (Duke University Archives)
  • Mirecourt House Records (Duke University Archives)
  • Pegram House Records (Duke University Archives)
  • Warwick House Records (Duke University Archives)
  • Wilson House Records (Duke University Archives)
  • York House Records (Duke University Archives)

Preferred Citation

[Identification of item], Giles House Records, Duke University Archives, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University.

Provenance

The Giles House Records were received by the University Archives as a transfer in 1982.

Processing Information

Processed by Emily Glenn, January 2003

Encoded by Kimberly Sims, June 2006

Accession A82-40 is described in this finding aid.

Descriptive sources and standards used to create this inventory: DACS, EAD, NCEAD guidelines, and our local Style Guide.

This finding aid is NCEAD compliant.