Menu

Guide to the Jarvis House records, 1946-1981 (bulk 1966-1977)

Abstract

Jarvis House, named for former North Carolina Governor Thomas J. Jarvis, was built of white pressed brick and Indiana sandstone and roofed with green tile. It was completed and occupied in October 1912.

The collection contains the records of Jarvis House, a residence hall for undergraduate female students at Duke University.

Descriptive Summary

Repository
University Archives, Duke University
Creator
Duke University. Jarvis House.
Title
Jarvis House records, 1946-1981 (bulk 1966-1977)
Language of Material
English
Extent
1 Linear Feet, 1000 Items
Location
For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.

Collection Overview

Contains the records of Jarvis House, a residence hall for undergraduate female students at Duke University. Types of materials include correspondence, programming notes, reports, fliers, minutes, newsletters, photographs, rosters, song lyrics, scrapbooks, and financial records. Major subjects include Trinity College history, Duke University history, women college students, student life, and general governance of residence halls. Materials range in date from 1946-1981, (bulk 1966-1977). The three scrapbooks were created by Jarvis House residents. Because the original scrapbooks were in poor condition, items were removed and placed in archival folders for preservation. The scrapbook dated 1960-1961 is intact.

Administrative Information

A majority of collections are stored off site and must be requested at least 48 business hours in advance for retrieval. Contact Rubenstein Library staff before visiting. Read More »

warning Access Restrictions

Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection.

Collection is open for research.

In off-site storage; 48 hours advance notice is required for use.

warning Use Restrictions

Copyright for Official University records is held by Duke University; all other copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.

Contents of the Collection

Correspondence, 1970-1977
Curriculum and courses, 1969-1970
Damage reports, 1975-1978
Federation establishment, circa 1976
Flyers, 1981
Governing bodies, memos, notes, rules, 1968-1977
House meeting and house council notes, 1968-1969
House meeting and house council notes, 1967-1968, 1969-1977
Newsletters, 1965-1979
Open House reports, 1968
Photographs, 1956, 1974-1978
President's report, 1946-1947
Programming, undated
Relocation, 1977
Rosters and personnel assignments, 1967-1977
Songs, undated
Scrapbook, circa 1953-1956, pages 1-30
Box 2
Scrapbook, circa 1953-1956, pages 31-50
Box 2
Scrapbook, 1960-1961
Box 2
Scrapbook, 1964-1965
Box 2
Financial records, 1966-1970
Box 2

Historical Note

The Jarvis Residence Hall, named for former North Carolina Governor Thomas J. Jarvis, was considered to be cutting-edge in architectural design, adding great aesthetical value to Trinity College's campus (now the East Campus of Duke University). Like its nearby twin, Aycock Hall, Jarvis was built of white pressed brick and Indiana sandstone and roofed with green tile. When completed and occupied in October 1912, the building was three stories high and divided into five separate sections by solid firewalls extending from the ground to the roof. Jarvis had such amenities as a large social room, two complete kitchens, and a pressing room on each floor. Built to house 120 students, it was home to men from 1912 to 1930. Jarvis Hall also housed the campus post office between 1912 and 1928. In 1930, the new West Campus opened and what had been the Trinity College campus (now East Campus) became the Woman's College of Duke University.

Jarvis House has been a non-selective women's residence hall since around 1930. In 1977, during an effort to equalize the balance of men and women on west campus, Housing Affairs administrators proposed to move residents of Jarvis Hall to housing blocks on West Campus. Jarvis residents protested the move and remained on East campus next to the Carr Building and West Duke Building.

As a residential unit, Jarvis House was at times governed by the Office of Student Affairs, Office of Housing Management, the Women's Student Government Association, the Residential Life Committee, the Community Council of the Woman's College, and the Association of Independent Houses.

Subject Headings

Related Material

  • Arts and Sciences Council records (Duke University Archives)
  • Alspaugh House records (Duke University Archives)
  • Association of Independent Houses records (Duke University Archives)
  • Baldwin Federation records (Duke University Archives)
  • Bassett House records (Duke University Archives)
  • Brown House records (Duke University Archives)
  • Bunch of Guys records (Duke University Archives)
  • Few Federation records (Duke University Archives)
  • Gilbert-Addoms Residence Hall records (Duke University Archives)
  • Giles House records (Duke University Archives)
  • Mirecourt House records (Duke University Archives)
  • Pegram House records (Duke University Archives)
  • S.H.A.R.E. records (Duke University Archives)
  • Warwick House records (Duke University Archives)
  • York House records (Duke University Archives)

Preferred Citation

[Identification of item], Jarvis House records, Duke University Archives, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University.

Provenance

The Jarvis House records were received by the University Archives as a transfer in 1980.

Processing Information

Processed by Emily Glenn, January 2003

Encoded by Kimberly Sims, September 2006

Accession A80-29 is described in this finding aid.

Descriptive sources and standards used to create this inventory: DACS, EAD, NCEAD guidelines, and our local Style Guide.

This finding aid is NCEAD compliant.