Guide to the Christine Mimms papers, 1946-1986
Christine Mimms served as secretary/executive assistant to six Duke Presidents, from President William Few to President Terry Sanford. The collection contains correspondence, clippings, photographs and other materials. The material ranges in date from 1946-1986.
- Record Group
- Christine Mimms papers
- Mimms, Christine, 1909-1940
- 0.5 Linear Feet, 150 Items
- David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library
- Material in English
Contains correspondence, photographs, postcards, clippings and other materials primarily concerning Mrs. Mimms' career as secretary to Duke's presidents. The collection includes letters from Dr. Knight, Mr. Sanford, W. M. Upchurch and other University figures and the memorial volume from her husband's funeral. The material ranges in date from 1946-1986.
Access to the Collection
Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection.
Collection is open for research.
In off-site storage; 48 hours advance notice is required for use.
Use & Permissions
Copyright for Official University records is held by Duke University; all other copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
How to Cite
[Identification of item], Christine Mimms Papers, Duke University Archives, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University.
Orphaned at an early age, Christine Mimms was raised by her mother's sister in Scotland County, North Carolina. After graduating from Gibson High School, she attended Meredith College where she was active in government and the debating society. She received her business training at Kings Business College in Raleigh. She moved to Durham in 1935 when she was hired as a secretary. Mimms served as secretary/executive assistant to six Duke Presidents, from President William Few to President Terry Sanford. She married S. C. Mimms in 1966 and was an active member of the Watts Street Baptist Church. She helped organize both the Durham Theater Guild and the Allied Arts and was a member of the arts society's original board of directors. She retired from Duke in 1977. Mimms died in 1990.
A print of Mimms surrounded by the six Duke University presidents she served with has been separated from the collection and is located in map cabinet 8.
- William P. Few Records and Papers (Duke University Archives)
- Robert L. Flowers Records (Duke University Archives)
- A. Hollis Edens Records (Duke University Archives)
- J. Deryl Hart Records (Duke University Archives)
- Douglas M. Knight Records (Duke University Archives)
- Terry Sanford Records and Papers (Duke University Archives)
Click to find related materials at Duke University Libraries.
- Duke University. Office of the President -- Anecdotes
- Duke University. Office of the President -- Employees
- Knight, Douglas M., 1921-2005
- Mimms, Christine, 1909-1940
- Sanford, Terry, 1917-. Correspondence
- Upchurch, W. M., Jr., 1910-1989. Correspondence
The Christine Mimms papers were received by the University Archives as a gift in 1992.
Processed by Archives Staff, September 2006
Encoded by Kimberly Sims, September 2006
Accession A92-63 is described in this finding aid.