Guide to the Nicholas School of the Environment Reference Collection, 1930-ongoing
The collection contains clippings, some administration lists, newsletters, reports, and printed matter for several parts of the Nicholas School of the Environment, including the School of Forestry and Environmental Studies, the Dept. of Geology, and the Marine Laboratory. Also included is information on Duke Forest. The collection ranges in date from 1930-ongoing.
- University Archives, Duke University
- Duke University. University Archives
- Nicholas School of the Environment Reference collection 1930-ongoing
- Language of Material
- 1.0 Linear Feet, approx. 200 items
- For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.
Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection.
Collection is open for research.
Copyright for Official University records is held by Duke University; all other copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
The Nicholas School celebrates it creation date as 1991, but it represents a coming together of three entities that are almost as old as the university itself. The School of Forestry and Environmental Studies and the Duke University Marine Lab (both formed in 1938) came together in 1991 to become the School of Environment, which was named the Nicholas School in 1995 following a $20 million gift from Peter M. and Ginny Nicholas of Boston.
In 1997, the Department of Geology (formed in 1936) joined the school as the Division of Earth and Ocean Sciences, bringing with it new resources and a new name for the school in December 2000-the Nicholas School of the Environment and Earth Sciences. In December 2003, the Nicholases ended the Campaign for Duke with a $70 million pledge to the university, to help fund the design and construction of Nicholas Hall, the future home of the Nicholas School, as well as the launch of the affiliated Nicholas Institute for Environmental Policy Solutions. In August 2008, the school's name was shortened to the Nicholas School of the Environment, following approval by the Duke University Board of Trustees.
- Duke University. School of the Environment
- Nicholas School of the Environment (Duke University) -- History.
- Nicholas School of the Environment and Earth Sciences (Duke University) -- History
- Duke University. School of Forestry and Environmental Studies
- Duke University. Dept. of Geology
- Duke Forest (Durham, N.C.)
- Duke University. Marine Laboratory
- Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.)
- Forestry Club Records, 1962-1976 (University Archives, Duke University.)
- Marine Laboratory Records, 1945 - 1990. (University Archives, Duke University.)
- Nicholas School of the Environment, Center for Continuing Education records, 1992-1999. (University Archives, Duke University.)
- Nicholas School Master's Projects, 1988-2005 (University Archives, Duke University.)
- School of Forestry and Environmental Studies Subject Collection, circa 1960-1979 (University Archives, Duke University.)
- Departments and Academic Divisions Reference Collection (Duke University Archives)
[Identification of item], Nicholas School of the Environment Reference Collection, Duke University Archives, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University.
The Nicholas School of the Environment Reference Collection was compiled from various sources by University Archives staff for reference and research.
Processed by Archives Staff, February 2008
Encoded by Sherrie Bowser, February 2008
Updated by Kimberly Sims, October 2008
Updated by Molly Bragg, July 2011
Descriptive sources and standards used to create this inventory: DACS, EAD, NCEAD guidelines, and our local Style Guide.
This finding aid is NCEAD compliant.