Guide to the Panhellenic Council records, 1938-1996 (bulk 1960-1996)
The Duke Panhellenic Association [Panhellenic Council] is the governing body of the 10 National Panhellenic Conference (NPC) sororities on-campus. The collection contains several types of material: the correspondence files date from 1943-1995, the bulk of the Rush information covers 1960 through the mid-1990s, while the minutes and agendas range in date from 1951-1994. The collection as a whole ranges in date from 1938-1996, with the bulk of the material dating from 1960-1996.
- Record Group
- Panhellenic Council records
- 1938-1996 (bulk 1960-1996)
- Duke University. Panhellenic Council
- 4.5 Linear Feet, 4500 Items
- David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library
- Material in English
Contains the Council's constitution, minutes, agendas, financial ledgers, correspondence, sorority files, Rush files, and printed material. The printed material includes several issues of "East Goes Greek," which was given to women interested in rushing on-campus sororities. Information included in the pamphlet included the Greek alphabet, do's and don'ts of rushing, and information on each sorority. The collection also contains material related to the Panhellenic Council's quest for on-campus housing for sororities. The collection dates range from 1938-1996 (bulk 1960-1996).
Access to the Collection
Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection.
Collection is open for research.
For a period of twenty-five years from the origin of the material, permission in writing from the office of origin and the University Archivist is required for use. After twenty-five years, records that have been processed may be consulted with the permission of the University Archivist.
In accordance with the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 as amended, Duke University permits students to inspect their education records and limits the disclosure of personally identifiable information from education records.
Portions of these materials are restricted by donor request.
Use & Permissions
Copyright for Official University records is held by Duke University; all other copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
How to Cite
[Identification of item], Panhellenic Council Records, Duke University Archives, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University.
The National Panhellenic Conference was founded in 1902. College chapters of National Panhellenic were the first inter-group organizations on college campuses. Initially, Trinity College and Duke University's fraternities and sororities were governed by their own Panhellenic Council. In 1957, the men's Panhellenic Council became the Interfraternity Council. Sororities remained under the umbrella of the Panhellenic Council. The earliest mention of the Sorority Panhellenic Council at Duke is in the 1913 Chanticleer yearbook. Fannie Kilgo was Chairman, and Catherine C. Thomas was Secretary. The sororities represented within the Council were Kappa Delta and Alpha Delta Phi. According to the 1938 Chanticleer, the Women's Panhellenic Council was founded for the "express purpose of subordinating the individual sorority for the common good of all the sororities." Today, the Panhellenic Council continues to develop and maintain sorority life and inter-sorority relations within the University and promote intellectual accomplishment and sound scholarship.
- Fraternities and Sororities Collection, 1931-2001 (Duke University Archives)
- Interfraternity Council Records, 1947-2001 (Duke University Archives)
- Douglas M. Knight Records, 1949-1970 (Duke University Archives)
- President H. Keith H. Brodie Records, 1963-1994 (Duke University Archives)
- Alice M. Baldwin Papers, 1863-1961 (Duke University Archives)
- Woman's College Records (Duke University Archives)
- Alpha Delta Pi. Omicron Chapter Records, 1927-1979 (Duke University Archives)
- Kappa Kappa Gamma. Delta Beta Chapter Records, 1930-1981 (Duke University Archives)
- Kappa Delta. Sigma Delta Chapter Records, 1934-1981 (Duke University Archives)
- Phi Mu. Gamma Epsilon Chapter Records, 1933-1982 (Duke University Archives)
- Pi Beta Phi. North Carolina Beta Chapter Records, 1929-1988 (Duke University Archives)
Click to find related materials at Duke University Libraries.
- Duke University -- Students -- Societies, etc.
- Duke University -- Students -- Social conditions
- Duke University. Panhellenic Council
- Duke University. Woman’s College -- History
- Duke University -- Societies, etc.
- Panhellenic Council (Duke University)
The Panhellenic Council records were received by the University Archives as a transfer in 1978-2002.
Processed by Archives Staff, July 2006
Encoded by Kimberly Sims, September 2006
Accessions A94-144, A78-132, A81-65, A99-4, A2002-58 were merged into one collection, described in this finding aid.