Menu

Guide to the Parthenon Club Records, 1916-1924

Abstract

The Parthenon Club was an organization for female students and faculty of Trinity College. The club was active from 1916 until 1924. The club promoted interest in the language, literature, and art of ancient Greek and Roman cultures, especially the work of women.

Materials include one bound volume containing minutes, constitutions, and financial records. Major subjects include women at Trinity College, Trinity College history, student groups, study of classical languages, appreciation of classical literature, and women in classical literature.

Descriptive Summary

Repository
University Archives, Duke University
Creator
Trinity College (Durham, N.C.). Parthenon Club.
Title
Parthenon Club records 1916-1924
Language of Material
English
Extent
0.1 Linear Feet, 1 Item
Location
For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.

Collection Overview

Contains the records of the Parthenon Club, a club for Trinity College women who were interested in classical studies. Date ranges from 1916-1924.

Administrative Information

A majority of collections are stored off site and must be requested at least 48 business hours in advance for retrieval. Contact Rubenstein Library staff before visiting. Read More »

warning Access Restrictions

Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection.

In off-site storage; 48 hours advance notice is required for use.

warning Use Restrictions

Copyright for Official University records is held by Duke University; all other copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.

Contents of the Collection

Parthenon Club diary, 1916-1924
Box 1

Historical Note

The Parthenon Club of Trinity College was established for women to pursue interests in the language, literature, and art of ancient Greek and Roman cultures. The club was formed in 1916. The first officers were: Kate Goodman Umstead, Mary Knight, Etoile Young, and Evelyn Reade. The group met weekly and presented papers, discussed research, and produced programs for each other.

In 1924, the women of Parthenon Club joined the men of the Classical Club. In 1927, more women interested in classical studies created the Folum Club, and held joint meetings with the Classical Club. The Classical Club continued to be active at Duke University until sometime after 1944.

Subject Headings

Related Material

  • Classical Club (Duke University Archives)
  • Classical Club (Duke University Archives)
  • Eta Sigma Phi. Beta Rho Chapter Records (Duke University Archives.)

Preferred Citation

[Identification of item], Parthenon Club Records, Duke University Archives, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University.

Provenance

The Parthenon Club Records were received by the University Archives as a gift in 1976.

Processing Information

Processed by Emily Glenn, January 2003

Encoded by Kimberly Sims, June 2006

Accession A76-11 is described in this finding aid.

Descriptive sources and standards used to create this inventory: DACS, EAD, NCEAD guidelines, and our local Style Guide.

This finding aid is NCEAD compliant.