Guide to the Presbyterian Student Center Records, 1962-1969
The Westminster Fellowship was created in 1946 as a way to organize Presbyterian students at Duke University. By the early 1960s, the Presbyterian Student Center was built.
The collection contains committee files for Presbyterian Campus Christian Life, Synod Campus Christian Life, and Advisory Committee for the Presbyterian Synod of North Carolian, as well as, printed materials for regional conferences and workshops. The material ranges in date from 1962-1969.
- University Archives, Duke University
- Duke University. Presbyterian Student Center
- Presbyterian Student Center records, 1962-1969
- Language of Material
- 1 Linear Foot, 1000 Items
- For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.
The collection contains committee files for Presbyterian Campus Christian Life, Synod Campus Christian Life, and Advisory Committee for the Presbyterian Synod of North Carolian, as well as, printed materials for regional conferences and workshops. The material ranges in date from 1962-1969 and is arranged into two series: Committees and Miscellaneous.
Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection.
All or portions of this collection may be housed off-site in Duke University's Library Service Center. The library may require up to 48 hours to retrieve these materials for research use.
Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the University Archives to use this collection.
Collection is open for research.
Copyright for Official University records is held by Duke University; all other copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
In 1946, Dr. Dwight M. Chalmers, minister at Trinity Avenue Presbyterian Church, developed the idea that the Presbyterian students at Duke University should be organized; and therefore, the Westminster Fellowship was born. However, because he left Durham within two years, the project floundered.
In the mid 1950's Dr. Regen and Dr. Bennett were instrumental in persuading the Synod of North Carolina to maintain the project. They also started, a few years later, a campaign to raise money to build a Presbyterian Student Center . Mr. Charles Dukes from First Presbyterian Church was chairman of the building committee.
- United Methodist-Presbyterian Ministry Records, 1933-1974 (Duke University Archives)
- Religious Life Reference Collection, 1937-ongoing (Duke University Archives)
- Minister to the University (Dean of the Chapel) records, 1940-1984 (Duke University Archives)
[Identification of item], Presbyterian Student Center Records, Duke University Archives, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University.
The Presbyterian Student Center Records were received by the University Archives as a transfer in 1975.
Processed by Matthew Shangler, October 2009
Encoded by Matthew Shangler, October 2009
Accession 75-164 is described in this finding aid.
Descriptive sources and standards used to create this inventory: DACS, EAD, NCEAD guidelines, and local Style Guide.
This finding aid is NCEAD compliant.