Guide to the Mary Robinson Papers, 1948-2010 (bulk 1948-1985)
Mary Robinson was a 1949 graduate of the Woman's College at Duke University. Robinson was also member of the White Duchy, the women's equivalent of the Red Friars honorary society. Collection contains material pertaining to the White Duchy and her 1949 classmate and fellow White Duchy member, Nancy Hanks, eventual head of the National Endowment for the Arts and the National Council on the Arts, 1969-1977.
- Record Group
- Mary Robinson papers
- 1948-2010 (bulk 1985-2000)
- Robinson, Mary
- 0.5 Linear Feet, 400 Items
- David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library
- Material in English
Contains material pertaining to the Order of the White Duchy and Nancy Hanks. Materials present include correspondence between Mary Robinson and Nancy Hanks, rituals surrounding the White Duchy; the Lucky Number, the newsletter of the White Duchy; clippings concerning the death of Nancy Hanks; the creation of the Nancy Hanks Center; and color photographs and slides documenting reunions, the Cashiers, North Carolina home of Nancy Hanks, and bequests to the Museum of Art from the estate of Hanks.
Access to the Collection
Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection.
All or portions of this collection may be housed off-site in Duke University's Library Service Center. The library may require up to 48 hours to retrieve these materials for research use.
Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the University Archives to use this collection.
Collection is open for research.
Use & Permissions
Copyright for Official University records is held by Duke University; all other copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
How to Cite
[Identification of item], Mary Robinson Papers, Duke University Archives, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University.
Mary Robinson was a 1949 graduate of the Woman's College at Duke University. While at Duke she was honored with a membership in the Order of the White Duchy where she met fellow Class of '49 member Nancy Hanks. Nancy Hanks went on to become head of the National Endowment for the Arts and the National Council on the Arts. Robinson, Hanks, and other Duchy members of their class became lifelong friends and held reunions whenever possible.
- Nancy Hanks Papers, 1894-1987 (bulk 1945-1983) (Duke University Archives/Rare Book, Manuscript, and Special Collections Library)
- Order of the White Duchy Records, 1925-1968 (Duke University Archives/David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- Woman’s College Oral History Project Records, 2003-2006 (Duke University Archives/David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- Woman’s College Records, 1928-1974 (Duke University Archives/David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
Click to find related materials at Duke University Libraries.
- Duke University. Woman’s College -- History
- Duke University. Woman’s College
- Duke University. Woman’s College -- Students
- Hanks, Nancy, 1927-1983
- Robinson, Mary
The Mary Robinson Papers were received by the University Archives as a gift in 2008.
Processed by Josh Larkin Rowley, May 2009
Encoded by Josh Larkin Rowley, May 2009
Accession UA2008-19 is described in this finding aid.