Guide to the Edward Christian Simmons Papers, 1933-1964
Edward Christian Simmons was an economics professor at Duke University.
His collection includes correspondence with author Charles Holt Carroll, Carroll's manuscript for Organization of Debt into Currency and correspondence from John Maynard Keynes.
- University Archives, Duke University
- Simmons, Edward Christian, 1909-2001.
- Edward Christian Simmons papers 1933-1964
- Language of Material
- 0.5 Linear Feet, 200 Items
- For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.
Contains correspondence relating to Charles Holt Carroll (1800-1890) whose Organization of Debt into Currency and Other Papers Simmons edited and for which Simmons wrote an introduction. Includes correspondence with William Volker Fund of Burlingame, CA regarding the publication costs of Carroll’s manuscript. Also includes the manuscript of Simmons’s edition of Carroll’s writings; the title page, table of contents, index and introduction are in typescript, and the rest consists of Photostats of printed copies. Collection also includes a letter from John Maynard Keynes to Simmons, thanking him for his article “Mr. Keynes’ Control Scheme.” The original of this letter was transferred to the signatures collection. Items were foldered for processing.
Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection.
In off-site storage; 48 hours advance notice is required for use.
Copyright for Official University records is held by Duke University; all other copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Edward Christian Simmons was born in Pittsburgh, PA in 1909. He received his Ph.D. from Ohio State University in 1936, and subsequently taught at Ohio State, Wayne State and the University of Michigan. Simmons joined the U.S. Navy Reserves in 1943 and served as an aerial navigator in the Caribbean until 1946. He joined the Duke faculty in 1947, where he taught Economics specializing in monetary-fiscal policy. He died in 2001.
- Hoover (Calvin B.) Papers, 1929-1988 (bulk 1929-1968). (University Archives, Duke University.)
- Ratchford (Benjamin U.) Papers, 1924-1980. (University Archives, Duke University.)
- Glasson (William H.) Papers, 1891-1946 and n.d. (University Archives, Duke University.)
- Smith (Robert S.) Papers, 1930-1969. (University Archives, Duke University.)
- Knight (Douglas M.) Records, 1949-1970. (University Archives, Duke University.)
[Identification of item], Edward Christian Simmons Papers, Duke University Archives, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University.
The Edward Christian Simmons Papers were received by the University Archives as a gift in 1962; 1964.
Processed by Jessica Wood, November 2006
Encoded by Sherrie Bowser, March 2007
Accessions A62-522, A64-196 were merged into one collection, described in this finding aid.
Descriptive sources and standards used to create this inventory: DACS, EAD, NCEAD guidelines, and our local Style Guide.
This finding aid is NCEAD compliant.