Menu

Guide to the Trinity College (Randolph County, N.C.) collection, 1836-1990

Abstract

In 1841, Trinity College in Randolph County, N.C. was first formally chartered as Union Institute formed by the Union Institution Society, a group of Methodists and Quakers. Braxton Craven became head of the institution in 1842. The school was rechartered in 1851 as Normal College, and its graduates were licensed to teach in the public schools of the state. In 1859, the name of the institution changed to Trinity College upon affiliation with the Methodist Church. John Franklin Crowell became president of Trinity College in 1887; Trinity College relocated to Durham, N.C. in 1892. This artificial reference collection consists of photocopies of correspondence, diaries, printed material, and articles dealing with Union Institute, Normal College, and Trinity College in Randolph County, N.C.

Descriptive Summary

Repository
University Archives, Duke University.
Creator
University Archives, Duke University.
Title
Trinity College (Randolph County, N.C.) collection, 1836-1990.
Extent
600 Items, , 20.3 linear feet
Location
For current information on the location of these materials, please consult Duke University Archives.
Language
English.

Collection Overview

This artificial collection consists of photocopies of correspondence, diary excerpts, printed material, articles, account books (ledgers), roll books, gradebooks, and official records pertaining to Union Institute, Normal College, and Trinity College in Randolph County, N.C. The collection is housed in oversize boxes (except for box 1) and ranges in date from 1836-1990.

Administrative Information

A majority of collections are stored off site and must be requested at least 48 business hours in advance for retrieval. Contact Rubenstein Library staff before visiting. Read More »

warning Access Restrictions

Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection.

All or portions of this collection may be housed off-site in Duke University's Library Service Center. The library may require up to 48 hours to retrieve these materials for research use.

No restrictions.

warning Use Restrictions

Copyright for official University records is held by Duke University; all other copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.

Contents of the Collection

Normal College, Postmarks and Logos, undated-1895
Box 1
Normal College, North Carolina Annual Conference of Methodist Church, 1851, 1856
Box 1
Becton Family, Correspondence
Box 1
Trinity College, Class of 1880, W.A. Jones Papers
Box 1
Memoirs, Long, Augustus W.
Box 1
Articles and Clippings, 1885-1936
Box 1
Diaries and Notebooks, Amanda Simons, circa 1860-1870
Box 1
Sneed, Walter Letter
Box 1
Sermon to the Theological Society of Trinity College, undated
Box 1
Historical Accounts and Materials, circa 1859-1988
Box 1
Reminiscences Index
Box 1
Trinity College Advertisements
Box 1
Trinity College Announcements
Box 1
Articles and Clippings, 1950-1990, undated
Box 1
Bulletins and Supplements, 1887-1892
Box 1
Cherokee Indians
Box 1
Tributes to Craven, 1882
Box 1
Trinity College Circulars
Box 1
Trinity College Forms
Box 1
Trinity Magazine, A College Monthly, Vol I (duplicates)
Box 1
Trinity Magazine, A College Monthly, Vol II (duplicates)
Box 1
Trinity College Publications, Number 1, Lessons from Our North Carolina Records
Box 1
Trinity College Publications Numbers 1, 2 and 3, 1889-1891
Box 1
Normal College Handouts
Box 1
Sesquicentennial Program, 1988
Box 1
Union Institute Constitution, Minutes and Accounts, 1839-1853
Volume 1
Normal College Account Book, 1853-1859
Box 1
Record of Normal College, 1853-1855
Box 1
Trinity High School (Randolph County) Records, 1891-1892
Box 1
Account Book, 1854-1856
Box 3
Account Books, 1860-1861
Box 4
Supply Ledgers, 1860-1861
Box 5
Supply and Cash Ledger, 1861-1869
Box 5
Notes due to Trinity College Ledger, 1859-1864
Box 5
Account Books, 1880-1881
Box 6
Receipt Book, 1860-1861
Box 6
Roll of Trinity College, 1850-1855
Box 6
Roll of Trinity College after it reopened, 1866-1869
Box 7
Clippings
Box 8
Leaflets and Broadsides, 1866-1882
Box 8
Student Lists and Grades, 1858-1880s
Box 8
Minutes and Resolutions [Normal College], 1851-1859
Box 8
Official Papers, 1852-1882
Box 8
Commercial Drafts, undated
Box 8
Annual Reports, 1858-1882
Box 8
Insurance Papers, 1870-1880
Box 8
Account Papers, 1868-1872
Box 8
Account Book, 1845-1848
Box 9
Account Book, 1872-1882
Box 9
Account Books, 1879-1880
Box 9
Muster Roll of Military Dept. of Trinity College, 1861-1864
Box 9
Trinity Building and Loan Association Ledger, 1872
Box 9
Trinity Building and Loan Association Treasurer's Book, 1872
Box 9
Autograph Album, 1866-1872
Box 9
Pierce, J. R., Notes on Rhetoric, 1870
Box 9
Faculty Book, 1866
Box 9
Roll Book, 1870
Box 9
Roll Book, 1875
Box 9
Class Book, 1879
Box 9
Declamation Book, 1878
Box 9
Student List (damaged, fragile), 1870s
Box 10
Gradebook (damaged, fragile), 1876-1877
Box 10
Financial records, 1856-1859
Box 10
Financial records, 1860-1869
Box 10
Financial records (3 folders), 1870-1879
Box 10
Financial records, 1880-1882
Box 10
Receipt, 1886
Box 10
Account Books (include faculty and student book and supply accounts), circa 1870s
Box 11
Account Books, 1870s
Box 12
Account Books, 1870s
Box 13
Account Book, 1870
Box 14
Account Books, 1880-1881
Box 15
Student ledger, 1871-1872
Box 16
Account book, 1885
Box 16
Account book, 1891-1892
Box 16
Trinity College Society of Alumni, circa 1858-1873
Box 17

Historical Note

Trinity College began as Brown's Schoolhouse in Randolph County, N.C., a private subscription school led by Brantley York, who became the principal in 1838. A year later, Brown's Schoolhouse was formally organized by the Union Institution Society, a group of Methodists and Quakers. In 1841, the State of North Carolina issued a charter for Union Institute, turning it into an academy. In 1842, Braxton Craven became head of the institution. The school was rechartered in 1851 by the Legislature of the State of North Carolina as Normal College, and its graduates were licensed to teach in the public schools of the state. In 1859, the name of the institution is changed to Trinity College upon affiliation with the Methodist Church.

Subject Headings

Related Material

  • Enoch Faw diary, 1851-1857. (Rare Book, Manuscript, and Special Collections Library, Duke University.)
  • Catherine E. Hanes papers, 1861-1873. (Southern Historical Collection (#1959-z), University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.)
  • Robert Philip Howell memoirs, 1854-1872. (Southern Historical Collection (#4045), University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.)
  • William M. Jordan papers, 1913-1882. (Rare Book, Manuscript, and Special Collections Library, Duke University.)
  • William McKendree Robbins papers, 1836-1905. (Southern Historical Collection (#4070), University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.)

Preferred Citation

[Identification of item], Trinity College (Randolph County, N.C.) collection, Duke University Archives, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University.

Provenance

The source and provenance for this collection cannot be traced.

Processing Information

Processed by Torrence N. Thomas, May 2000; Jill Katte, October 2002; Kimberly Sims, January 2007

Encoded by Joshua McKim, December 2002; Kimberly Sims, January 2007

Updated by Molly Bragg, August 2011

This finding aid is NCEAD compliant.