Guide to the William Edward Whitford Papers, 1955-1966
A Duke University Alum, William Edward Whitford eventually became manager of Duke's Physical Plant Operations and Maintenance.
His collection includes bound date books from the years 1955-66.
- University Archives, Duke University
- Whitford, William Edward, 1902-1984.
- William Edward Whitford papers 1955-1966
- Language of Material
- 0.50 Linear Feet, 12 Items
- For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.
Contains 12 of Whitford's date books from the years 1955 to 1966. Date books include entries for personal, social and cultural events, many of which took place at Duke.
Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection.
In off-site storage; 48 hours advance notice is required for use.
Copyright for Official University records is held by Duke University; all other copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
William Edward Whitford was an undergraduate at Trinity College in Durham, NC, where he served as a laboratory assistant in physics and organized the school's first student laundry system. After graduating in 1927, he became an employee of Duke University, and in 1930, he became the first resident of West Campus. During his 45 years working for Duke, he served as building inspector, facilities coordinator, Director of Operations and Maintenance, assistant business manager for the University and senior consultant in engineering affairs and planted many of the oak trees on Duke's West Campus. He died in 1984.
- William Edward Whitford Taped Conversation Spring 1981. (University Archives. Duke University.)
- Operations and Maintenance Dept. Records, 1919-1957. (University Archives. Duke University.)
- Educational Facilities Committee Records, 1962-1986. (University Archives. Duke University.)
- Building Reference Collection, 1972-2004. (University Archives. Duke University.)
[Identification of item], William Edward Whitford Papers, Duke University Archives, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University.
The William Edward Whitford Papers were received by the University Archives as a transfer in 1983.
Processed by Jessica Wood, October 2006
Encoded by Sherrie Bowser, November 2006
Accession is described in this finding aid.
Descriptive sources and standards used to create this inventory: DACS, EAD, NCEAD guidelines, and our local Style Guide.
This finding aid is NCEAD compliant.