The documentation for the Guido Mazzoni Pamphlet Collection contains a description for each of the thirty-one subject areas, which are treated as sub-collections of the Pamphlet Collection. Please note that these subject areas are only conceptual classifications; the pamphlets are not physically grouped together by subject area. Each subject heading description has its own web page.
Each subject area description follows a standard format which includes:
- the number of electronic records in the item-level database;
- the range of publication dates;
- the predominant formats;
- a sampling of the important individual and corporate names associated with each area, usually in the Italian form (subjects -- as opposed to authors -- are marked with an "S", while "A" and "S" means there the individual is sometimes the author, at other times the subject, of the pamphlets);
- the important sub-topics treated within each subject area;
- what is not included in the subject area and where one might find it;
- where one might look for related materials.
Because they can suggest keywords and topics, the subject headings descriptions are especially useful as a guide to searching the electronic item-level database.
To read about each of these thirty-one subject areas, click on the headings listed below:
- Architecture -- Italy.
- Art, Italian.
- Dante Alighieri, 1265-1321.
- Europe -- Description and travel.
- Italian drama.
- Italian language.
- Italian literature.
- Italian periodicals.
- Italian poetry.
- Italy -- Church history.
- Italy -- Decription and Travel.
- Italy -- History.
- Italy -- Politics and government.
- Italy -- Social life and customs.
- Mazzoni Guido, 1859-1943 -- Biography.
- Science -- Italy.
- World War, 1914-1918.
- World War, 1939-1945.
- Cardfile in the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University
- "Per Nozze" items given full cataloging (approximately 600 items)
- Mixed in with monograph cards
- Listed in order of main entry
- Retain Mazzoni's accession numbers
- Duke Libraries Online catalog
- Circa 1200 "per nozze" pamphlets
- 32 collection-level MARC records are available on-line; these records use Library of Congress subject headings to describe the Mazzoni Pamphlet Collection as a whole and the 31 broad subject and genre sub-collections that characterize the Pamphlet Collection. The records include a textual pointer to the Mazzoni Pamphlets item-level database in the Rubenstein Library.
- Perkins Reference stacks
- Photocopies of 19th- and 20th-century hand-written index cards
- Entries under author, title, subject headings
- No entries under "Per Nozze"
- Mazzoni Pamphlets Database
- Allows searches by dates, authors, other names, short titles, subject heading, keywords, in any combination
- Access points for the Per Nozze subcollection
Marked on front cover with Mazzoni's original accession numbers. Call numbers consist of a capital letter (A-G), an Arabic numeral, and a Roman numeral, and so are distinguishable from all other Rubenstein Library formats for call numbers:
- A.13.XV (pamphlet no. 15 of group A, section 13)