Hartman Center for Sales, Advertising & Marketing History
The Hartman Center for Sales, Advertising & Marketing History in the David M. Rubenstein Library acquires and preserves printed material and collections of textual and multimedia resources and makes them available to researchers around the world. Through these collections and related programming, the Center promotes understanding of the social, cultural, and historical impact of advertising, marketing, and sales.
Latest Hartman Center newsletter issue online!
Click here to read our Winter 2014-15 issue of Front & Center! Highlights include articles about the Jean Kilbourne Papers and William Golden Papers.
J. Walter Thompson Company Interactive Timeline Available Online
To celebrate 150 years of JWT accomplishment and contribution to the advertising industry the Hartman Center has created an interactive, online timeline tracing events in the company's history: long-standing client relationships, key personnel, office openings, innovations, and more. The timeline is broken up into two parts. Part one traces the company's history from it's founding in 1864 through 1930. Picking up where the first leaves off, part two brings users up to the 2000s.
Newly Available Collections
The Hartman Center announces new online finding aids for the following collections:
- Albert Cornell, M.D. Collection of Medical Ephemera, 1910-2004
- Anspach Travel Bureau Collection of Tourism Literature, 1936-2014
- Brouillard Communications Print Advertisements, 1991-2005
- Carl Spielvogel Papers, 1946-2014
- J. Walter Thompson Company. Commodore Club Records, 1990-1995
- J. Walter Thompson Company. Hispania Records, 1980-1985
- J. Walter Thompson Company. London Office Print Advertisements, 1900-1999
- J. Walter Thompson Company. Personnel Records, 1900s-1975
- J. Walter Thompson Company. Radio and Television Department Records, 1932-1978
- J. Wilson Morrow Papers, 1930-1968
- Jean Kilbourne Papers, 1918-2014
- John R. Bittner Papers, 1918-1994
- Spanish Advertising Broadsides (Auca and Alelujas), 1938-1985
- William Golden Papers, 1911-1970
These and other Hartman Center finding aids can be found and searched from the Collection Guides page.