Pioneering African-American Women in the Advertising Business, Biographies of MAD Black Women
Hartman Center for Sales, Advertising & Marketing History
The Hartman Center for Sales, Advertising & Marketing History in the David M. Rubenstein Library acquires and preserves printed material and collections of textual and multimedia resources and makes them available to researchers around the world. Through these collections and related programming, the Center promotes understanding of the social, cultural, and historical impact of advertising, marketing, and sales.
Join us on Wednesday, February 22 at 3:30 PM. Dr. Judy Foster Davis will present Pioneering African-American Women in the Advertising Business, Biographies of Mad Black Women. Click here for more information.
Summer Research Job Opportunity for Duke Students!
Check out the Duke Story+ job opportunity related to Race & Ethnicity in Advertising for Duke undergrads and graduate students. Work this summer with our great collections to create an illustrated web resource for researchers!
New Digital Project!
The JWT Ford Motor Company ads are now digitized and live! Features almost 12,000 ads from 1944 to 2007 created by J. Walter Thompson for Ford Motor Company.
Newly Available Collections
The Hartman Center announces new online collection guides for the following collections:
- Barry Silverstein Collection of Direct Marketing Materials, 1871-1967
- Cat on a Hot Tin Roof Promotional Photographs, 1958
- Cahoma Cravits Promotional Materials, 1940-1941
- Cosmetics Trade Samples and Sachet Collection, 1890s-1930s
- Leonard Sirowitz Papers, 1947-2008
- Fred Ackarman Papers, 1937-1944
- J. Walter Thompson. Corporate Anniversaries, 1945-2014
- J. Walter Thompson. New York Office. Media Center Audio-Visual Collection, 1953-2015
- J. Walter Thompson. Thompson Way/Thompson Total Branding Records, 1975-2000
- Sears Consumer Information Services Filmstrip Series, ca.1969-1970
These and other Hartman Center finding aids can be found and searched from the Collection Guides page.