If you plan to visit the reading room in the Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, you will need to register as a researcher. This allows you to:
- Request materials ahead of your visit. Most of our collection is stored offsite and it takes us 2 business days to have them retrieved
- Track the status of your requests
- Use those materials on the day you visit
Creating a registration account
- Visit our registration site. You will see the following options:
- Click the "Sign In" button that corresponds to your affiliation.
Duke University and UNC-Chapel Hill faculty, staff & students:
Log-in with your NetID (Duke) or your Onyen (UNC).
Review the library policies and regulations.
Fill in the “Registration Information.”
Click on “I Agree.”
You’ve completed the online registration! You can now request Rubenstein Library materials.
All Others (Choose this option if you’re not affiliated with Duke or UNC):
- After signing in, click on “First Time Users” at the bottom of the page. Your screen will look like this:
- Review the library policies and procedures.
- Click “I Agree.”
- Fill in the “Registration Information,” including choosing a username and password for your online account.
- Click “Submit Information.”
- You’ve completed the online registration! You can now request Rubenstein Library materials.
Finalizing your registration
- We’ll finalize your registration when you visit the library.
- Please bring a form of photo identification. We accept government-issued photo IDs (such as a driver’s license or passport) and any university-issued ID.
- We’ll also take a quick, informal photo of you as part of the registration process. This will allow us to confirm your identity each time you visit our reading room. The photo is confidential, and we will not share it.