Rose O'Neal Greenhow Papers

Letter to Alexander Boteler, June 19, 1863

Richmond, Va. From Rose Greenhow to Alexander Boteler. Letter gives details of Greenhow's movements and thanks Boteler for his kindness and friendship.

Image of this page

Richmond June 19 [1863]

My good and kind friend - You will I am sure be glad to know that all things prospered here according to my wishes I saw the President this morning and he affords me every facility and and in carrying out my mischief. I shall leave here on Tuesday or Wednesday. Tuesday certainly as the [illegible name of ship] upon which I will go will sail the latter part of the week on Friday from Wilmington to Bermuda. Once I shall take out as much cotton as I can. I shall be very much engaged for the

[Full size image of this page]

[Double size image of this page]

Image of this page

remainder of my sojourn here in geting ready. I sincerely wish you were here to aid me in some other matters. I know how selfish this wish must appear, when I know how your heart has ached to get to your dear family--you have been so kind to me that I feel as if your family were almost old friends. Pray make them like me for it will bring great pleasure when I return to know them.

I will write again when I leave here and

Image of this page

also from Wilmington for I have the vanity to suppose that you will take an interest in my movements.

I cannot tell you my friend how highly I appreciate your friendship and offer you my heartfelt congratulations on being [illegible] and true enjoyment of this society [illegible] to you.

Believe me always your true friend

Rose O'Neal Greenhow

Image of this page

PS - I hope you will be able to read this as it is written under high pressure.

Votre toujours
R G

Honb A Boteler
Sheppardstown

Rose O'Neal Greenhow Papers - Homepage or Index to letters.

A project of The Digital Scriptorium, Special Collections Library, Duke University.