Rose O'Neal Greenhow Papers

Letter to Alexander Boteler, July 20, 1863

Charleston, S.C. From Rose Greenhow to Alexander Boteler. Letter describing battle activities witnessed by Greenhow in Charleston, SC. She also praises Confederate General Beauregard and mentions the permit her gave her to visit Fort Sumter. (Rose Greenhow Papers, Special Collections Library, Duke University)

Image of this page

Miles House
Charleston July 20th [1863]

[To A.R. Boteler]

Here am I my friend en route for the old world spell bound by fearful interest here - Perhaps at no time could I have visited this city under circumstances of deeper interest. The enemy have put forth every effort to capture it - and the skill and daring of our people will be taxed to the utmost to repell the brutal hoards who are now hovering around. For the last week the enemy has been attacking our batteries - having made a lodgemont on Morris island - one end of which we hold, and upon which is planted Battery Wagner. This point commands the City, and it [is] here that all their energies have been put forth to get possession of the Battery. On Saturday they commenced a combined naval and land attack, and continued until dawn to shell this Battery. I witnessed this whole from St. Michael's tower and

[Full size image of this page]

[Double size image of this page]

Image of this page

it was fearfully grand - at 6 oclock they attempted to storm the Battery the attack coming from the point we hold. - Fort Sumpter then opened upon them, in anticipation of which her guns had been ranged in the morning with fearful precision The attacking party were driven off with heavy loss - but after dark it was renewed four times, and each time with fresh troops - at one time they succeeded in making a lodgemont in the works and planted their banner upon one end also holding a gun for some little time. Talliaferro here ordered the Charleston Battalion to bring down the flag and dislodge them he leading - not a man of the enemy got out alive - so they payed dearly for a momentary triumph - they were finally repulsed with great slaughter - their killed and wounded number 1500, eight hundred have already been buried our own one hundred in killed and wounded yesterday all day they were burying their dead whilst we were busy preparing

Image of this page

further entertainment for them. It is possible that they may get possession of Battery Wagner - but it will be deer bought and bootless triumph to them as Beauregard had prepared a little entertainment for them which will not aid their digestion

Gen Beauregard is fully equal to his great reputation and still holds his place as the great captain of the age. He has just written me a note reminding me that the battle of Saturday was fought on the anniversary of Bull Run 18th July - and has certainly added another leaf to the laurel which then bound his brow

I will direct this to Richmond as I see by the papers that the Yankees have again paid their complements to your region.

I shall go to Wilmington as it is possible that I may not be able even to run the blockade from this point - in which case you shall

Image of this page

hear from me - I have not had a line from you for a long time Rose is here altho severely disturbed by the mosquitoes - the weather is delightful I wish with all my heart that you were here - The day I left R. I had an opportunity of saying a kind thing for you. I [illegible] you and Hodge in speaking of the attempt to organize an opposition last winter. He expressed his deep regret that you both were defeated- said any [illegible] with an [illegible] was invincible. He said he would be very glad to assign you to Military position as he had already done Mr. Hodge - Pray take my advice and go to him without any reference to any of his aids who are all humbugs, as I have found go to him yourself and you will get just what you want - and just what you are entitled to. I am very unhappy I have just got from Beauregard a permit to visit Sumpter, altho the enemies guns within the last half hour are again roaring.

With my best regards believe me always your friend

Rose O'N Greenhow

Hon. A.A. Boteler

Rose O'Neal Greenhow Papers - Homepage or Index to letters.

A project of The Digital Scriptorium, Special Collections Library, Duke University.