Sarah E. Thompson Papers

Letter to Hon. John Sherman from Sarah Thompson, April 19, 1879

Washington, D.C. From Sarah Thompson to Hon. John Sherman. An account of Sarah Thompson's life and struggles written as an appeal for her to receive monetary aid. (Sarah E. Thompson Papers, Special Collections Library, Duke University)

Image of this page

Washington D.C.
April 19th 1879
Hon John Sherman.
Secretary of the Treasury.
Sir:
My husband, S. H. Thompson, was a volunteer in the 1st East Tenn Cav'y, under Col Brownlow. was ordered into recruiting service. enlisted about 500 Tennesseans, into the Union Army. was taken prisoner by the rebels, sent to Libby, and from there to Belle Isle, escaped and joined Genl Burnsides command, then operating in Tennessee. Was sent as bearer of dispatches from Genl Burnside to Longstreet, and whilst returning on this mission was captured by Morgans guerrillas and shot.
Having been thus widowed, I devoted all my strength and energy, to aid the cause which he had so signalized. I obtained information con-

[Full size image of this page]

[Double size image of this page]

Image of this page

-cerning the actual and intended movements, strength and disposition of the rebel forces. Led into the federal lines union men desiring to enlist. Was the frequent bearer of secret despatches between commanding officers. Obtained and gave to the Federal officers the information of Morgans presence in Greenville, which led to his defeat and death. in all of which service I was thirty six times in rebel prisons. was given three hours notice to abandon my home, and was finally proclaimed as a Union Spy by Jeff Davis who authorized a reward for my arrest, after which I served as a nurse in the Field Hospital at Knoxville, from which place I was transferred to the Hospital at Cleveland Ohio, where I remained as a nurse until the close of the war.
In the entailment of poverty thus brought upon me through the loss of my husband and home, and having three children - one an incurable and

Image of this page

helpless cripple - to maintain, I at last sought employment from the Government to which I had sacrificed so much, but regret to say that experience is leading me to doubt, either the worth of loyalty itself, or the sincerity of those Statutes designed to recognize and reward the same, by giving preference to those who served thier country, in the award of positions, under its employ, for whilst many both of men and women, whose every thought an execration and defiance of loyalty are holding lucrative places, I with broken health, and a family to maintain, am rewarded for my childrens orphanage and my own services, by a position where I receive only $1.00 a day. Bureau of Engraving & Printing
I ask you in the name of this government which I have served, of my widowhood, and my orphaned children, to give me at least an equal position, with the rebels in office, and a salary that will not make me blush in

Image of this page

their presence, and my starving children's
Hoping that I will not vainly have importuned your interference in my behalf
I am very respectfully
Sarah E. Thompson
#59 Defrees St. N.W.

Sarah Thompson Papers - Homepage or Index to letters.

A project of The Digital Scriptorium, Special Collections Library, Duke University. December 1996
http://scriptorium.lib.duke.edu/thompson/