Camp Morton (Indiana)
(from Sturgis, Thomas. Prisoners of War G. P. Putnam's Sons. NY, NY. 1912 p.269)
(from the Indiana State Archives web site at http://www.state.in.us/acin/icpr/)
Camp Morton was located in Indianapolis on Nineteenth and Alabama Streets. Used in 1861 as a training camp for Indiana regiments, it was taken over by the Federal government in February 1862 to house Confederate prisoners of war. Colonel Richard Owen of the 60th Indiana regiment served as the first prison commandant over the non-commissioned rebel officers and privates. Credited with having the least illness and lowest death rate, the camp contained a prison hospital which was aided by local people's donations of clothing, bedding, and food.
(This information and an inventory for the Camp Morton Records held in the Indiana Historical Society can be found
Alice Williamson Diary - Table of Contents
A project of The Digital Scriptorium, Special Collections Library, Duke University.