Faculty House 4 was briefly occupied by Duke’s Chief Engineer, A. C. Lee, after its completion. Soon thereafter, it was occupied by Dr. Frederic Moir Hanes (above) who lived here from 1933 until he and Dr. Robert Lee Flowers switched homes in 1935. At that time, Dr. Flowers was Vice President of the Business Division, but he succeeded Dr. Few as University President in 1941 and opted to maintain residence here rather than move into faculty house 1. Dr. Flowers lived here until his death in 1951. In the years following, house 4 was occupied by Undergraduate Admissions, the Office of Publications, and the Office of Community Relations. It has been occupied by Alumni Affairs since 1976.