Some information included in the records created and maintained at Duke is sensitive and confidential in nature. It should be protected from disclosure except under certain circumstances.
The links below provide a summary of university and federal policies and regulations that may impact the records and information in your care. This summary is intended to serve as a resource only. If you have questions about legal issues involving university records, consult with the University Counsel's office.
- University Registrar records policy & Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
- Protected health information and HIPAA
- Library user records and the Patriot Act
- Protected personal financial information and the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act
- Information Technology policies & privacy
- Retention of research data & records (Office of Research Support)
- Institutional Review Board (Duke University Medical Center)
- Access to records in the University Archives and the Medical Center Archives
- Clery Act (See Paragraph F: Disclosure of campus security policy and crime statistics)