Self-Service Check-Out Stations
The Perkins Library has three 3-M self-checkout machines:
- one located near the main Perkins Circulation desk
- one just inside the Bostock entrance
- a third just inside the Perkins gateway entrance. Borrowers with a Duke photo ID or any Duke library card may check out any barcoded item at these stations.
How to use the self-checkout machines:
- The monitor display should prompt you to place the barcode of your library card underneath the laser scanner line.
- If you have a valid account, you are next prompted to place the barcode of the first item you wish to check out under the scanner.
- If the barcode is successfully read, the screen display prompts you to place the spine of the book against the cradle of the machine. A little ping will give you an audio prompt that the transaction has been successful.
- If you have more books to check out, push the Continue button and place the barcode of the next item under the scanner.
- Once the barcodes on all items have been successfully read, touch the Done button on the screen. This will print out a receipt for the transaction, listing all items checked out, along with their due dates.
Frequently Encountered Problems:
- If your borrower's card is defective or damaged it may not be properly read and should be replaced. You can get a new University ID at the Duke Card Office at 100 West Union Building. If you are not a student, faculty, or staff member at Duke, you may get a replacement library card at the Perkins Circulation desk.
- If an item does not have a barcode on the outside back cover, it must be checked out at the Circulation Desk.
- The self-check system will also alert users to problems in reading book barcodes and will direct them to take such items to a circulation desk. Staff at the Bostock help desk or at the Perkins Circulation desk can assist you in these cases.
Last modified January 11, 2010 11:35:23 AM EST