Integrating library resources into your course
The Duke University Libraries and the Center for Instructional Technology can assist you as you plan your course:
- Use E-Reserves to post readings online
- Link to articles: in most cases you cannot simply capture the URL from the address bar because these links are temporary. Here are some other options
Video & films
- Place videos or DVDs on Reserve in Lilly Library for the semester
- Sign up for a classroom showing of a Lilly video or DVD. Language Departments may use the West Campus Language Lab Viewing Room
- Provide streaming video online (if you own the copyright to the materials). Consult with CIT for details.
- Provide short clips online (if you don't own the copyright). Consult with CIT for details or drop in the CIT Lab Tuesday to Friday from 1-5pm to learn how to digitize clips.
Music & audio
- Place recordings on Reserve in the Music Library
- Provide streaming audio online, as downloadable audio clips or podcasts, if you own the copyright to audio materials. Consult with CIT for details.
- Provide textbook audio materials online. Consult with CIT for details.
Locating images, documents, data, maps, etc.
- Consult with CIT about best practices and what to expect from these assignments, before assigning them
- Use the CIT instructional technology multimedia computer lab in Bostock Library to create multimedia projects or materials
- Encourage your students to use appropriate labs and facilities:
- Students may create projects and get help in the Multimedia Project Studio in Lilly Library on East Campus or in Old Chemistry on West Campus
- Perkins/Bostock and Lilly Libraries offer computers with production software and scanners. Several group study rooms in Perkins/Bostck are equipped with DVD players, VCRs, laptop connections and wall mounted monitors -- great for practicing multimedia presentations.
Incorporating new teaching activities
- Consult with CIT on best practices in teaching, applying new technologies effectively in teaching, and evaluating the results
Last modified October 19, 2012 8:47:58 AM EDT