Since 1947, the Friends have presented the Book Collectors Contest in alternate years to promote reading for enjoyment and the development of students' personal libraries. The 2013 contest was named for Andrew T. Nadell M'74, an avid collector in the areas of gothic revival, doctors of medicine and learned professions and occupations. The contest is open to all undergraduate and graduate students who are regularly enrolled at Duke University.
The next Book Collectors Context is in February 2015.
2013 Andrew T. Nadell Book Collectors Contest Winners
- New Orleans' Nourishing Networks: Foodways and Municipal Markets in the Nineteenth Century Global South — Ashley Young (first place, graduate)
- Oxford University: Two Centuries of Magical Historiy — Kenny Gould (first place, undergraduate)
- American Manna: Religious Foodways in the United States — Adrienne Krone (second place tie, graduate)
- More than Magic: Disney in Books — Beth Sanchez (second place tie, graduate)
- Another World and Yet Our Own: A Speculative Fiction Collection — Laurel Burk (second place, undergraduate)