Perkins Library, dedicated in 1970, was itself a major expansion of library buildings constructed in 1928 and 1948. Recognizing that this facility was no longer adequate for the university’s needs, Provost Peter Lange established the Perkins Library Renovation Committee in August 2000 and charged it with thinking creatively about the nature of library services and facilities and making recommendations regarding the design and function of Perkins Library.
Working with the Boston architectural firm of Shepley Bulfinch Richardson and Abbott, the committee obtained input broadly from all segments of the campus community - faculty, staff, undergraduates, and graduate and professional students. Together the architects and the committee produced a vision statement, space program, and master plan for the university library.
More information about the planning process can be found in an article from the September/October 2002 issue of Duke Magazine.
Unless otherwise specified on this page, this work is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.