Transform Lives/Support the Libraries
In August, when the Libraries celebrated the latest milestone of the Perkins Project, the re-opening of floors 2-4 of Perkins Library, Lucy McKinstry T10 offered ten reasons she and other Duke students love the Libraries:
10. Quiet. Finally, no more fire alarms or construction noise.
9. Space. From study carrels to high-tech classrooms, there are so many different and versatile places to work.
8. Atmosphere. With great views and cozy rooms, the library is a happy place to study.
7. Rest. We love sleeping in the comfortable chairs.
6. Motivation. Seeing other people around you pursuing excellence creates a strong incentive.
5. Group study rooms. Essential.
4. People. The resourceful librarians go out of their way to be helpful and encouraging.
3. Parties. What other library hosts an annual cocktail party?
2. Balance. The library is a space respected for both academics and socializing; the von der Heyden Pavilion is a great example of this, where you can see your friends, chat with your professors, and finish your homework.
1. Community. The collaborative energy and spirit of Duke are more visible here in the library than anywhere else on campus.