Professor Charles A. Ellwood, who established the Department of Sociology at Duke, briefly lived here after construction until opting for another home in Duke Forest, in 1932. Thereafter, Francis Bayard Carter, MD (left) moved in. Dr. Carter was a noted obstetrician and gynecologist who eventually served as Chairman of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology. He maintained residence in the house until his retirement in 1964. The house was sporadically occupied by various faculty members until 1968 when Duke University Stores moved in. Stores stayed until 1982, when its offices moved into the Bryan Center. The Asian Pacific Studies Institute moved in that same year and occuped the house until Summer, 2007 when the Institute moved to Trent Drive Hall. Faculty House 5 then became home to the Graduate School's Office of Graduate Student Affairs.
Unless otherwise specified on this page, this work is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.