Alspaugh: John W. Alspaugh (Normal College, 1855) was a member of the committee of management that steered the college through financial troubles in the 1880s.
Alumni Memorial Gymnasium: Built in 1922-23, named in honor of Trinity students who died in World War I. Now part of the H. Keith H. and Brenda Brodie Recreation Center.
The Ark: Named the Angier Buchanan Duke Gymnasium in 1899. A graduate of the class of 1905, Angier was the son of Benjamin N. and Sarah P. Duke, and a grandson of Washington Duke. When he died at a young age his father established a fund for a scholarship program in his name. Site of second intercollegiate basketball game in the state, first between so-called Big Four colleges. Trinity lost to Wake Forest 24-10 on March 2, 1906. Popularly called the Ark since the 1930s because stairs leading into it were so narrow that only two people at a time could use them. "And there went in two and two unto Noah into the ark..." (Genesis, 7:9).
Aycock: Charles B. Aycock, Governor of NC 1900-04.
Baldwin Auditorium: Named in 1964 for Alice Mary Baldwin, first Dean of the Woman's College (1930-47) and Professor of History.
Bassett: John Spencer Bassett '88, history professor for 12 years. Central figure in academic freedom case in 1903.
Bell Tower: built in 2005/06, and named for its tower that now houses the Trinity College Bell
Bishop's House: Built in 1910 as residence for Bishop John C. Kilgo when he became a Methodist Bishop after serving as President of Trinity College. He continued as a college trustee.
Bivins: Built in 1905 and named for Joseph F. Bivins '96, first headmaster of Trinity Park School.
Blackwell: Named for Blackwell Park, once the Durham County fairground. In 1829, the land became the new home for Trinity College.
Branson: Named for William H. Branson, trustee, who died in 1899. Original building was a dorm for Trinity Park School. Current building is constructed with materials from the original building when it was dismantled.
Brodie Recreation Center: Named for Duke President (1985-1993) H. Keith H. Brodie and his wife, Brenda.
Brown: Joseph G. Brown '75, Raleigh banker, trustee 34 years, chairman 10 years.
Carr: Julian Shakespeare Carr, Durham tobacco businessman, Methodist, trustee.
Crowell: Original 1892 building named Technological Building. Changed by Trustees in 1896 to Crowell since it was a gift of President John F. Crowell in memory of his wife.
Epworth: Original 1892 building called the Inn. Changed by Trustees in 1896 to Epworth using the name of the parish where John Wesley's father was minister in England.
Gilbert-Addoms Dormitory: Opened and named in 1957 for Katherine Everett Gilbert, Professor and first chair of the Department of Aesthetics, Art and Music and for Ruth Margery Addoms, Professor of Botany.
Giles: Three sisters (Theresa, Mary, Persis), first women graduates of Trinity College, 1878.
Hanes Athletic Field: Named for P. H. (Huber) Hanes '00, trustee, President of Hanes Knitting Company in Winston-Salem.
Jarvis: Thomas J. Jarvis, Governor of NC from 1879-1885. Also Ambassador to Brazil, US Senator by appointment a brief time. College trustee.
Lilly Library: Woman's College then East Campus Library renamed Lilly Library in 1990 in recognition of gift of Mrs. Ruth Lilly.
Mary Duke Biddle Music Building: Opened in 1974 and named for Mary Duke Biddle '07, daughter of Benjamin N. and Sarah P. Duke and mother of Mary D. B. T. Semans.
Pegram: William H. Pegram '73, chemistry professor for 55 years. A faculty member who moved from Randolph County to Durham.
Randolph: for Randolph County (N.C.), the original location of the institution.
Richard White Lecture Hall: Named for the former dean of Trinity College and the dean of faculty of Arts & Sciences, the two-story building opened in 2001.
Southgate Memorial Building: Opened in 1921 as a gift from the citizens of Durham in memory of James H. Southgate, local businessman and Chairman of the Board of Trustees (notably at the time of the Bassett Affair).
The Sower: Bronze statue in front of East Duke Building was a gift of James B. Duke in 1914. He had purchased it on a trip to Germany for his estate in New Jersey. President Kilgo admired it and Duke gave it to the college. The sculptor was Stephan Anton Friedrich Walter and the figure is that of a 17th century peasant sowing in his fields. It is sometimes erroneously referred to as Johnny Appleseed. (more on The Sower)
Stagg Pavilion: Summer house or gazebo in front of East Duke, near the statue of the Sower, given in 1902 by Mary W. Lyon Stagg, the daughter of Mary Duke Lyon and granddaughter of Washington Duke, in honor of her husband James Edward Stagg. He was a college trustee.Wilson: Originally the Faculty Apartments, this was named in honor of longtime Dean Mary Grace Wilson at commencement, 1970.
Unless otherwise specified on this page, this work is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.