Duke University students, faculty, and staff can now access the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service (ETAS) that provides temporary access to in-copyright titles that match Duke University's print holdings, approximately 40% of our print items. This is in addition to the 6 million public domain and Creative Commons-licensed works that are normally accessible through HathiTrust.
Highlights of this service
- You can access these books through the Books & Media Catalog; these books will display a "View Online" button and a notice indicating that you can view the item temporarily from HathiTrust.
- When viewed within HathiTrust, books available through the ETAS have the label “Temporary Access,” you can also access books that are marked “Full View” as you always do. (Books marked “Limited (search-only)” are restricted and you cannot access them).
- “Temporary Access” books can be read only online.
- You can check out a book for 1 hour. Your access will renew automatically at the end of that hour, unless another user requests the book after that hour is over.
- These items may be protected by copyright law but are made available as Temporary Access due to closure of Duke University Libraries. No further reproduction or distribution is permitted by any means without the permission of the copyright holder.
How to access titles using this service
You can either search for items from within the Duke University Libraries Books & Media Catalog or from within the HathiTrust website.