The Communications Strategist develops, implements and coordinates the communications strategy for Learning Innovation to highlight our work helping Duke students learn more and enabling more people to learn from Duke. This position is part of the Learning Innovation leadership team, reporting to the Director and collaborating with communicators across Duke University.
- Collaborates with Learning Innovation’s leadership and teams to coordinate communication efforts and strategy, including Online Duke, Teaching Innovation, Learning Technologies, and the Teaching and Learning Innovation Lab. Identifies objectives, strategies, target audiences, tactics and key messages for Learning Innovation initiatives and projects.
- Manages Learning Innovation’s online presence and websites, including http://learninginnovation.duke.edu and http://online.duke.edu to effectively communicate Learning Innovation’s mission, work and services to internal and external audiences. Manages internal partners and external vendors to ensure the development and design of compelling, complex digital content. Develops content strategy, written and multimedia content, and ensures consistency of style, freshness of and usability of content. Monitors and analyzes web analytics and recommend improvements to online channels in support of strategic and operational goals.
- Develops social media strategy to engage internal and external audiences to publicize Duke’s educational innovation projects and impact. Creates content (including written stories and multimedia pieces), manages campaigns and tracks conversions.
- Engages Duke faculty and students to grow learner-facing brand. Develops opportunities and coordinate with undergraduate and graduate student groups on programs, events and communications campaigns.
- Develops and maintains collaborative working relationships with leaders and key communication offices and staff for Duke University and Duke University Health System. Coordinates with the Office of News & Communications on media inquiries and news releases.
- Monitors and analyze developments in higher education, online learning, educational technology, and major issues of the day to inform Learning Innovation’s communications strategy
- Supervision of student intern(s)
It is the expectation that a successful candidate will demonstrate exceptional workplace behaviors in the execution of their specific position responsibilities, including: customer focus, collaboration, creative problem solving, continuous learning and a commitment to diversity.
Required: BA/BS in communications or a related field; or an equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience.
- Requires four years of experience in journalism, public relations, marketing or related field
- Demonstrated excellence in using digital and social media in an organization with a strong external presence
- Must possess excellent interpersonal communications skills and must exercise good judgment under pressure.
- Must be highly organized and comfortable working on deadline and in a highly collaborative environment.
- Experience generating and implementing a communications strategy for a program or organization
- A journalist’s eye and instinct for stories that are unique, trending, and/or likely to be of broad interest
- Demonstrated ability to write for a variety of audiences—from blog posts to more scholarly writing; experience writing online
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships with various stakeholders and the media
- Excited about innovation and new technology
- Experience working as an adaptable member of a team in a complex, fast-paced environment
- Experience working in higher education
- Familiarity with trends in educational technology, emerging online education models, and issues in higher education
- Graphic design experience
- Web design experience
- Experience in producing multimedia stories
- Normal office environment
- Attendance at occasional events outside of normal work hours
These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee in this position. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in this position.
About Duke Learning Innovation
We help Duke students learn more, and enables more people to learn from Duke. We do this in several ways, including:
- Supporting faculty in creating new approaches to student-centered and active learning.
- Building the ecosystem of education technologies that support learning, and working with departments and faculty to curate tools for the needs and learning goals of programs and disciplines.
- Developing online learning opportunities that offer flexibility to Duke students reach the extended community of alumni and prospective students, and extend Duke’s global impact.
- Exploring leading edge projects, working with faculty to gather data from Duke’s learning platforms and publishing research, and seeking grants and sponsored R&D
- Creating opportunities to build and pilot new technologies.
Our current activities are shown on our Year in Progress page.
Salary and Benefits
Salary dependent on qualifications and experience. Comprehensive benefits package includes 15 days vacation, 13 holidays, 12 days sick leave; health, dental, disability and life insurance and support for professional development and training.
Since its founding in 1924, Duke University has grown into one of the most prestigious private universities in the world and its medical center ranks annually among the top in the nation. The Duke University Libraries are the shared center of the university's intellectual life, connecting people and ideas. The Libraries consist of the Perkins Library, Bostock Library, Rubenstein Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Lilly Library, and Music Library, and the library at the Duke Marine Laboratory in Beaufort. Duke's library holdings of 6.2 million volumes are among the largest of private universities in the United States.
Duke is a diverse community committed to the principles of excellence, fairness, and respect for all people. As part of this commitment, we actively value diversity in our workplace and learning environments as we seek to take advantage of the rich backgrounds and abilities of everyone. We believe that when we understand, celebrate, and tap into our uniqueness to creatively solve problems and address shared goals, our possibilities are limitless. Duke University Libraries value diversity of thought, perspective, experience, and background and are actively committed to a culture of inclusion and respect.
Duke's hometown is Durham, North Carolina, a city with vibrant research, medical and arts communities, and numerous shops, restaurants and theaters. Durham is located in the Research Triangle, a growing metropolitan area of more than one million people that provides a wide range of cultural, recreational and educational opportunities. The Triangle is conveniently located just a few hours from the mountains and the coast, offers a moderate climate, and has been ranked among the best places to live and to do business.
Duke offers a comprehensive benefit package which includes both traditional benefits such as health insurance, leave time and retirement, as well as wide ranging work/life and cultural benefits. Details can be found at: http://www.hr.duke.edu/benefits/index.php.
An electronic resume, cover letter, and list of 3 references should be submitted at https://careers.duke.edu/ - Search for Requisition ID # 12739. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Applications which are missing any of the components listed above will not be reviewed.
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual’s age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status. The Duke University Libraries have a strong commitment to Affirmative Action and is actively seeking to increase the racial and ethnic diversity of our staff.