The Metadata & Discovery Strategy Department in the Technical Services Division of Duke University Libraries (DUL) has a field experience opportunity (unpaid) for a library school student interested in gaining experience in library technical services procedures.
We are looking for an individual to assist in developing a wiki for organizing division-wide policy and workflow documentation. Under the guidance of the Metadata Ingest Specialist, the individual will review documentation to organize and make recommendations based on use-case.
Requirements: Current enrollment in an MLS program accredited by the American Library Association or equivalent.
Time frame: 2018 Spring semester
Hours: Flexible, during normal business hours (8am-5pm)
Location: Metadata & Discovery Strategy Department, Smith Warehouse Bay 10
Contact: Jacquie Samples, email@example.com, 919-660-5965
- Working in close collaboration with the Metadata Ingest Specialist, interviews division managers to assess needs.
- Reviews current documentation structure and re-envisions a documentation portal for the division’s policies, guidelines, and procedures.
- Explores the use of dual wiki spaces for public and internal documentation.
- Participates in Metadata & Discovery Strategy team meetings.
- Student will gain significant project management experience.
- Student will develop experience organizing documents to optimize discovery.
- Student will meet with Technical Services department heads and team leads and gain an invaluable understanding of library materials management and life cycles.