Develops and maintains web applications utilized by faculty, staff, students, and other patrons of the Duke University Libraries (DUL). Supports middleware and interface development for DUL’s web platforms. Serves as an analyst for a variety of areas, including UX, accessibility, workflow optimization, and applications architecture. Participates in Scrum with developers, dev ops analysts, and product owners from across library departments.
- Develops, customizes, and maintains web applications in support of DUL collections, services, and spaces. Works with DUL stakeholders on a wide range of technology initiatives.
- Implements or develops high quality, innovative, accessible, and sustainable software for such functions as DUL web sites, discovery and access of collections, tools for digital scholarship, and others as needed.
- Works with teams of librarians, analysts, developers, and other staff to cultivate an environment of innovation. May consult and collaborate with partners beyond the library, including campus stakeholders and communities beyond Duke.
- Performs other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
- Contributes to usability testing and other user research in order to assess and improve web applications.
- Maintains knowledge and awareness of technology trends and evaluates their impact on applications used in the Duke Libraries.
- Includes and values the contributions of individuals with a diversity of perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences in all areas of responsibility.
It is the expectation that all Duke University Libraries staff members will demonstrate exceptional workplace behaviors in the execution of their specific position responsibilities. These behaviors are customer focus, collaboration, creative problem solving, continuous learning, and a commitment to creating a culture of inclusion that values and respects diversity of perspective, background, and experience.
Required: BA/BS in a technical field, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required: Minimum of one year experience developing and implementing technology projects in a collaborative, team-based, goal-oriented environment.
- Familiarity with one or more of the following: Drupal, WordPress, Omeka, Apache Solr, Blacklight, or similar applications.
- Familiarity with Ruby on Rails or similar web application frameworks.
- Experience with application development techniques and tools, such as usability testing, APIs, version control, or unit testing.
- Experience supporting IT in an academic research environment.
Developer may be eligible for a remote working arrangement if they currently reside in California, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, New York, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, or Washington, DC.
Normal office environment
These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee in this position. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in this position. This description is subject to change at any time.
Salary and Benefits
Salary dependent on qualifications and experience; salary range starts at $60,000+. Comprehensive benefits package includes 15 days vacation, 13 holidays, 12 days sick leave; health, dental, disability and life insurance and support for professional development and training.
Since its founding in 1924, Duke University has grown into one of the most prestigious private universities in the world and its medical center ranks annually among the top in the nation. The Duke University Libraries are the shared center of the university's intellectual life, connecting people and ideas. The Libraries consist of the Perkins Library, Bostock Library, Rubenstein Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Lilly Library, and Music Library, and the library at the Duke Marine Laboratory in Beaufort. Duke's library holdings of 6.2 million volumes are among the largest of private universities in the United States.
Duke is a diverse community committed to the principles of excellence, fairness, and respect for all people. As part of this commitment, we actively value diversity in our workplace and learning environments as we seek to take advantage of the rich backgrounds and abilities of everyone. We believe that when we understand, celebrate, and tap into our uniqueness to creatively solve problems and address shared goals, our possibilities are limitless. Duke University Libraries value diversity of thought, perspective, experience, and background and are actively committed to a culture of inclusion and respect.
Duke's hometown is Durham, North Carolina, a city with vibrant research, medical and arts communities, and numerous shops, restaurants and theaters. Durham is located in the Research Triangle, a growing metropolitan area of more than one million people that provides a wide range of cultural, recreational and educational opportunities. The Triangle is conveniently located just a few hours from the mountains and the coast, offers a moderate climate, and has been ranked among the best places to live and to do business.
Duke offers a comprehensive benefit package which includes both traditional benefits such as health insurance, leave time and retirement, as well as wide ranging work/life and cultural benefits. Details can be found at: http://www.hr.duke.edu/benefits/index.php.
An electronic resume, cover letter, and list of 3 references should be submitted at https://careers.duke.edu/ - Search for Requisition ID # 168348. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Applications which are missing any of the components listed above will not be reviewed.
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual’s age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status. The Duke University Libraries have a strong commitment to Affirmative Action and is actively seeking to increase the racial and ethnic diversity of our staff.