Tips for engaging in research at institutions beyond Duke University
- Return items on loan: Library materials can be recalled at any time. To avoid incurring fines, return materials that you have checked-out from Duke University Libraries or have borrowed through interlibrary loan. Arrange for a friend or colleague to be able to access items you can't return.
- Return keys: Return the keys to your library locker, mobi or carrel.
- DukeCard: Make sure you have your DukeCard and that you take it with you.
- Configure your computer: Install or configure your computer to use VPN and eduroam before you depart
Access to other institutions
Depending on where you travel, you may have a variety of options for gaining access to buildings, collections, and online access at other institutions.
- TRLN: Allows students, faculty and staff to borrow books from libraries at UNC, NCSU, and NCCU through a partnership with the Triangle Research Library Network (TRLN).
- Requirement: you must present your DukeCard (University ID) to participating institutions.
- eduroam: Allows students, researchers and staff from participating institutions to obtain secure high speed Internet connectivity when visiting other participating institutions around the world.
- BorrowDirect: Provides a range of building access and borrowing privileges when visiting participating libraries.
- SHARES: On-site access to collections at partner institutions.
- Letter from Duke Libraries: some institutions, especially outside the United States, will grant access to their building or to their collections only after you present them with a letter from Duke University Libraries.
- Requirement: Contact Andrea Loigman, Head of Access and Delivery Services, to request a letter.
- Please include information about specific libraries to be visited and your research goals
Staying connected with Duke University Libraries' resources
- VPN: Off-campus access to many of Duke University Libraries' online resources, such as articles and databases, requires use of VPN software.
- Library Access Button: installing our Library Access Button allows you to access articles and databases without using VPN.
- Browzine: Many journals and ebooks can be accessed via the Browzine app.