Menu

Guide to the John Avery Boys' Club Records, 1939-1971

Summary

The John Avery Boys' Club was founded in Durham, North Carolina, in 1939. Collection comprises organizational records, primarily budget documents, but also including some letters, board meeting minutes, meeting agendas, and memoranda, dating 1939-1946. There is one letter dated 1971, regarding redevelopment of the organization's property.

Collection Details

Collection Number
RL.11417
Title
John Avery Boys' Club records
Date
1939-1971
Creator
John Avery Boys' Club, Inc.
Extent
0.1 Linear Feet, 98 items
Repository
David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library
Language
Materials in English

Collection Overview

Collection comprises organizational records (48 items), primarily budget documents, but also including some letters, board meeting minutes, meeting agendas, and memoranda, dating 1939-1946. There is one letter dated 1971, regarding redevelopment of the organization's property. Originals are very brittle; preservation photocopies are available. Acquired as part of the John Hope Franklin Research Center for African and African American History and Culture.

More Biographical / Historical Info

Arrangement

Arranged chronologically.

Using These Materials

A majority of collections are stored off site and must be requested at least 2 full business days in advance for retrieval. Contact Rubenstein Library staff before visiting. Read More »

warning Access to the Collection

Collection is open for research.

Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection.

All or portions of this collection may be housed off-site in Duke University's Library Service Center. The library may require up to 48 hours to retrieve these materials for research use.

Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library to use this collection.

warning Use & Permissions

The copyright interests in this collection have not been transferred to Duke University. For more information, consult the copyright section of the Regulations and Procedures of the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library.

More copyright and citation information

How to Cite

[Identification of item], John Avery Boys' Club Records, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University.

Contents of the Collection

Records
Folder 1
 

Historical Note

The John Avery Boys' Club was founded in Durham, North Carolina, in 1939 when Mamie Dowd Walker, judge for Durham’s juvenile court, asked Durham’s Committee on Negro Affairs to find a solution for juvenile delinquency. A temporary Boys Club was formed that May. The following spring, the club was named in honor of John Moses Avery. It became the John Avery Boys & Girls Club at some point after 1972. In 2015, the organization became known as the Boys & Girls Club of Greater Durham, then in 2017, it was renamed the Boys & Girls Clubs of Durham and Orange Counties.


Click to find related materials at Duke University Libraries.

Provenance

The John Avery Boys' Club Records were received by the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library as a gift in 2017.

Processing Information

Processed by Alice Poffinberger, March, 2017

Accessions described in this collection guide: 2017-0028