Menu

Guide to the Chamber Arts Society Collection, 1990-2016

Summary

The Chamber Arts Society was created in 1945 and is dedicated to the performance of classical music by small chamber ensembles. This collection includes programs for many performances from 1990-2016.

Collection Details

Record Group
UA.07.05.0003
Title
Chamber Arts Society Collection
Date
1990-2016
Extent
0.5 Linear Feet
Repository
David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library
Language
Materials in English

Collection Overview

The Chamber Arts Society Collection includes programs from many Chamber Arts Society performances from 1990-2016.

More Biographical / Historical Info

Using These Materials

A majority of collections are stored off site and must be requested at least 2 full business days in advance for retrieval. Contact Rubenstein Library staff before visiting. Read More »

warning Access to the Collection

Collection is open for research.

warning Use & Permissions

Copyright for Official University records is held by Duke University; all other copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.

More copyright and citation information

How to Cite

[Identification of item], Chamber Arts Society Collection, Duke University Archives, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University.

Contents of the Collection

Programs, 1990-2016
Box 1
 

Historical Note

The Chamber Arts Society (CAS) was formed in 1945 to support classical music performances by small chamber ensembles at Duke University. Ernest Nelson, a professor of Renaissance History, led the formation of the Society with several other faculty members and was the first Director, 1945-1963. Leland Phelps, a professor in the German Department, was Director from 1963 to 1971, succeeded by Ruth Blum from 1979 to 2000. In 2000, Professor of mathematics Robert Bryant became Director and was then succeeded in 2007 by Professor of English George Gopen. Initially independent of the University, in 1985 the financial administration of the CAS was taken over by Susan Coon of the Duke Office of Cultural Affairs, later the Duke Institute of the Arts and then the Duke Performances Series. The CAS also has an Advisory Board of eight members of the University community who work with the Director of CAS and Duke Performances.

For the first 60 years of operation, the CAS held about five concerts per season, inviting well-respected artists from all over the world. Since George Gopen assumed the directorship, the CAS has held about eight concerts per season. Repeat performers have included the Beaux Arts Trio, the Julliard String Quartet, the St Lawrence Quartet, the Takacs Quartet, the Emerson String Quartet, and many others.

Related Material

Duke Artists Series Records, Duke University Archives, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University.

Duke University Playbills collection, Duke University Archives, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University.

Office of the Vice Provost for the Arts Records, Duke University Archives, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University.


Click to find related materials at Duke University Libraries.

Provenance

The Chamber Arts Society Collection were received by the Duke University Archives as a gift in 2016.

Processing Information

Processed by Tracy M. Jackson, September 2016

Accessions described in this collection guide: UA2016-0034.