Menu

Guide to the Norman Underwood library building records, 1901-1902

Summary

Norman Underwood was the contractor in charge of the construction of the Trinity College Library. The collection consists of receipts and bills made out to Norman Underwood for materials and labor related to the construction of the library on East Campus. There is also some very limited correspondence regarding these bills and receipts, as well as a contract for materials. The majority of the companies and individuals named in the receipts were located in Durham, and included contractors, suppliers, hardware and supply stores, pharmacies, and rail companies; several companies and individuals were located outside Durham, including Raleigh, Goldsboro, Chattanooga, TN, and Atlanta, GA. The receipts and bills detail materials, prices, contractors, and business names used in the construction of the library.

Collection Details

Record Group
UA.10.05.0006
Title
Norman Underwood library building records
Date
1901-1902
Creator
Underwood, Norman
Extent
0.5 Linear Feet
Repository
David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library
Language
Materials in English

Collection Overview

The collection consists of receipts and bills made out to Norman Underwood for materials and labor related to the construction of the library on East Campus. There is also some very limited correspondence regarding these bills and receipts, as well as a contract for materials. The majority of the companies and individuals named in the receipts were located in Durham, and included contractors, suppliers, hardware and supply stores, pharmacies, and rail companies; several companies and individuals were located outside Durham, including Raleigh, Goldsboro, Chattanooga, TN, and Atlanta, GA. The receipts and bills detail materials, prices, contractors, and business names used in the construction of the library.

More Biographical / Historical Info

Using These Materials

A majority of collections are stored off site and must be requested at least 2 full business days in advance for retrieval. Contact Rubenstein Library staff before visiting. Read More »

warning Access to the Collection

Collection is open for research.

Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection.

All or portions of this collection may be housed off-site in Duke University's Library Service Center. The library may require up to 48-hours to retrieve these materials for research use.

Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library to use this collection.

warning Use & Permissions

Copyright for Official University records is held by Duke University; all other copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.

More copyright and citation information

How to Cite

[Identification of item], Norman Underwood Library Building Records, 1901-1902, University Archives, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University.

Contents of the Collection

Receipts, 1901
Box 1
Folder 1
Receipts, 1901-1902
Box 1
Folder 2
Receipts, 1902
Box 1
Folder 3
 

Historical Note

Norman Underwood was the contractor in charge of the construction of the Trinity College Library. He was born in Ohio on September 2, 1862 and moved to Durham, N.C. in about 1897. Having worked in construction for many years, he started his own contracting firm in 1901. In addition to the library building, he contracted for several other buildings for Trinity College, including Craven Memorial Hall and the West Duke Building, as well as several buildings in Durham and for the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Active in civic duties, Mr. Underwood married Elsie E. Ward of Ohio and had five children: May Almina Underwood Rigsbee, Norman Bruce, Harrison Aubrey, Daniel Maurice, and Robert Ward. He died on June 17, 1930.

The Trinity College Library was built in 1901 and 1902. Prior to that time, the Library did not have a dedicated building and instead housed books and a reading room in a shared building. In 1900, James Buchanan Duke gave the college some money to build a library, following Benjamin Duke's gift for a library endowment the previous year. Ground was broken for the new building in July 1901 and it was expected to be complete by the end of the school year. The winter of 1901-1902 was a hard winter for building, and the completion of the building was delayed until December 1902. Over the Christmas holidays, the books, numbering about 11,000 volumes, were moved from the old library into the new building. The building was formally opened on February 23, 1903. In 1927, preparations began to move the library to the new West Campus. By then the books numbered about 100,000, and were moved to the new Women's College Library, opened in March 1927, before moving to the new General Library. In an agreement with Kittrell College, an all-black college in Vance County, the Trinity College library building would be moved to the Kittrell College campus and reassembled. The move was partially funded by a gift from Benjamin Duke, and the newly reassembled library building at Kittrell was named in his honor when it opened in 1929. The B. N. Duke Library, along with two other buildings moved from Trinity College to Kittrell College, burned down in 1972, and Kittrell College closed down in 1975.

Related Material

Trinity College (Durham, N.C.) Office of the Treasurer records, University Archives, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University.

Trinity College Library records, University Archives, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University.


Click to find related materials at Duke University Libraries.

Provenance

The Norman Underwood library building records were acquired by the University Archives prior to 1985 by Mattie Underwood Russell.

Processing Information

Processed by: Tracy M. Jackson, November 2014.

Accessions described in this finding aid: UA2014.0063.