Our Reading Room is currently closed to all non-Duke users. Duke users with a Duke Unique ID (DUID) and a Duke ID card can request an appointment to use the Reading Room.
Before requesting an appointment to view material in the Rubenstein Library’s Reading Room, please contact us to schedule a brief Zoom consult. We will not approve your appointment request until you have had a consultation with a Rubenstein librarian. If you place a request for an appointment and have not spoken with a Rubenstein Librarian, we will contact you to arrange a consultation before approving your appointment.
Once you have spoken with a librarian and it has been determined that viewing materials in the Reading Room is the best option for you, please follow these steps:
- Visit the Rubenstein Library’s Reading Room appointment request form in LibCal.
- Choose the date and time you would like to visit the Reading Room, and click on the corresponding green box. For example, if you want to schedule an appointment at 1pm on Feb. 15, you would click on the green box circled in red:
- The system will then ask you to choose an end time from a drop down menu and "Submit Tmes:"
- Click "Submit Times," and you will be prompted to login to the system with your NetID. Click Login.
- Confirm the booking details by clicking "Continue."
- To submit the appointment request, please fill out the box with times you will be available for a Zoom consultation. If you have already had a consult with a Rubenstein Librarian, or want to include any other relevant information, please include that information in the box. Then click "Submit my Booking":
- You will see a screen confirming that you have submitted an appointment request:
You will receive an automated email from the LibCal system that says you have submitted a request and that you will receive a confirmation email from Rubenstein Library staff.
- When Rubenstein Library staff approve this request, you will receive the following email through the LibCal system:
- If the Rubenstein Library denies your request, you will have been notified and made aware of the reasons why your request was cancelled.
- The day before your Reading Room appointment is scheduled, you will receive an email from Rubenstein Library staff reminding you of your appointment and with a list of important things to know before you come in for your appointment:
If you have any questions about this process, please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.