Sarah E. Thompson Papers

Letter from H.H. Horton to Sarah Thompson, January 14, 1865

Cincinnati, OH. From H.H. Horton to Sarah Thompson. Request that a description of charitable refugee relief be included in Sarah Thompson's upcoming speech. The letter also includes description of the conditions of refugees. (Sarah E. Thompson Papers, Special Collections Library, Duke University)

Image of this page

[letterhead for Headquarters Refugee Relief Commission of Ohio]
Cincinnati, January 14 1865

Dear Sister
I received your letter of the 12th and was very glad hear of your good health and that you was situated so comfortable. I have no news of importance to write only that we are very buisy and all the folks are sick Mrs Looker has been quite sick for the las t two days so that she has to keep her bed. Sarah Eslinger is down in bed with the mumps and their is hardly any one to take care of the sick we recieved a Barrell from Cleveland this week containing clothing but did not get any invoice so that we do not know who it came from. I think you had something to do with sending if not let me know
I hope that you will have success with your speech, and while you are speaking say a word in favour

[Full size image of this page]

[Double size image of this page]

Image of this page

of the Refugees that are dying by hundreds from the want of food and clothing ask for contribution of clothing to be sent to us so that we may be able to send it to nashville & those points that need those things
We have now in the Home & barracks nearly 100 who are nearly all sick so much that we have just got a Hospital started for their benifit
Hoping that you will do all that you can in the good cause
I remain yours
H. H. Horton

I will mark in the Report
what you may read

H. H. H.
These are gloomy times
But we are looking for better

[Full size image of this page]

[Double size image of this page]

Sarah Thompson Papers - Homepage or Index to letters.

A project of The Digital Scriptorium, Special Collections Library, Duke University.