Sarah E. Thompson Papers

A testimonial by S.G. Carter, January 15, 1878

Washington, D.C. From S.G. Carter. A testimonial concerning Sarah Thomson's war-time service. (Sarah E. Thompson Papers, Special Collections Library, Duke University)

Image of this page

Washington. D.C.
Jany 15. 1878.

In 1864. while Pro. U. Genl. of E. Tenn., with my No. 2s at Knoxville, I became acquainted with Mrs. S. E. Thompson, a resident of Greene County. She rode up to my No. 2s, (at the time of my first meeting her) to report that she had come alone from Greenville. (70 miles distant) which place she left the day before, for the purpose of giving me information in regard to the movement of Confederate forces in that vicinity. She undertook the long and dangerous journey from her love for the cause of the Union and her hatred of the rebellion and, as I believe, without thought of recompense or reward. I have been informed that Mrs. Thompson gave the intelligence of Gen. John Morgan's position to Gen. Gillem, which led to the defeat and death of that noted rebel leader.
Mrs. Thompson's husband was killed while on recruiting service within the

[Full size image of this page]

[Double size image of this page]

Image of this page

enemy's lines.
I take pleasure in recommending Mrs. Thompson to the favorable consideration of the proper authorities as one who deserves well of her country from her fearless devotion to its interests under circumstances of trial and danger.
(Signed)
S. G. Carter
Capt. U. S A. and late
Brut Maj Genl. U.S. vols.

[Full size image of this page]

[Double size image of this page]

Sarah Thompson Papers - Homepage or Index to letters.

A project of The Digital Scriptorium, Special Collections Library, Duke University. December 1996
http://scriptorium.lib.duke.edu/thompson/