Architect: Architectural Resources Cambridge
Bell Tower Residence Hall is named after the bell in its tower. "Marse Jack" became the College bell in May 1911 after the original College bell was destroyed in a fire. The name "Marse Jack," comes from the Trinity College students' nickname for President John Kilgo. The bell first was placed in a free-standing wooden structure on the south side of the Crowell Science Building. When that structure began deteriorating in the early 1930s, the women of the senior class of 1933 raised funds for a new steel tower for the bell, located north of the Alumni Memorial Gymnasium (now the Brodie Recreation Center). In 2002 the bell, heavily weathered and corroded, was restored. When Bell Tower Residence Hall was built in 2006, it was decided that Marse Jack would find a new home in its eponymous bell tower.