Rose O'Neal Greenhow Papers

Letter to Alexander Boteler, August 13, 1863

St. George, Bermuda. From Rose Greenhow to Alexander Boteler. Letter describing her voyage to Bermuda, further travel and spying plans, and meeting with the Reverend and Mrs. Walker, Confederate sympathizers. (Rose Greenhow Papers, Special Collections Library, Duke University)

Image of this page

St George Bermuda
August 13th [1863]

My Good friend

I have as you will see arrived here in despite of Yankee crusiers who gave us a close chase all the way. I was seasick of course but I am now entirely recoverd and enjoying the dolce faneanti of this seducing climate with its beauti

[Full size image of this page]

[Double size image of this page]

Image of this page

tropical trees and fruits.

I shall leave here the middle of the coming week en route for Southampton. And when I reach this point I will tell you your impressions of matters and things. I have met with kind friends Rev. Mr. and Mrs. Walker with whom I spend

Image of this page

all my time are very charming and cultured people. He is certainly a most indefatigable and valuable officer to the Confederacy and by his prudence and high trust conduct him the consideration of all here, and is there by enabled to render service to the country of a magnitude that would be startling if it were prudent to

Image of this page

speak yet.

My good friend I thank you for your salutation and kind wishes towards me. I trust that I shall always be as fortunate as to retain the officers whose appreciation elevates me and my own esteem.

With my best wishes and friendship,

Rose ON Greenhow

To Col A A Boteler

Rose O'Neal Greenhow Papers - Homepage or Index to letters.

A project of The Digital Scriptorium, Special Collections Library, Duke University.