The Edge: The Ruppert Commons for Research, Technology, and Collaboration
The Edge extends Duke University Libraries’ mission by providing a collaborative space for interdisciplinary, data-driven, digitally reliant or team-based research .
Opening in January 2015 in the renovated first floor of Bostock Library, the Edge brings together resources and expertise to help Duke researchers innovate, in a space that invites discovery, experimenting, and collaboration. Generous funding to create the Edge was made possible through the Duke Forward Campaign .
Bostock Library, Level 1 campus map
The first floor of Bostock will be renovated during the Fall of 2014, to create a centralized physical space on campus next spring that invites discovery, experimenting and collaboration. In the Edge you’ll find
- Brandaleone Family Lab for Data and Visualization Services
- Murthy Digital Studio
- Workshop and presentation space , for groups small (6-8) and large (up to 45-50)
- Project rooms , multiple sizes, both reservable and drop-in
The Edge connects you with resources and specialists and puts you in touch with other research partners at Duke. Get expert advice for
- Planning and managing the research process, from idea to publication
- Analyzing and visualizing research data, from graphs to maps and timelines
- Sharing your research with others, through presentations, publications and archives
Find tools in the Edge to help you with your research process, from looking for new ideas for a project, to collecting or creating research data, to creating public presentations of your work. Presentations, workshops and on-hand staff assistance point to new possibilities for your research.
- Data and Visualization Software (statistics, mapping, and visualization)
- Scanners (large-format, overhead, and multi-sheet feed)
- Training (workshops on research methods and tools)
- Tell us what you need, let us know what software or technology you'd like to see in The Edge's Digital Studio that is not currently available. Thank you for your feedback!