Preliminary Guide to the J. Walter Thompson Company. Maury Holland Papers, 1948-1959 and undated
The J. Walter Thompson Company, Maury Holland papers are dated 1948 to 1959 and include scripts for and copies of outgoing memoranda regarding content and format of television programs and advertisements, as well as budget information for selected shows (1958-1959), all produced by the New York Office's Radio and Television Department. Programs include Bat Masterson, The Jackie Gleason Show, Kraft Television Theatre, Naked City, and The Price Is Right. Actors represented include Milton Berle and Jackie Gleason. Clients include Kraft, Quaker Oats, Rinso Blue, and the Advertising Council. Also includes copies of outgoing correspondence to script writers, NBC, and the JWT Chicago Office. Acquired as part of the John W. Hartman Center for Sales, Advertising & Marketing History.
- J. Walter Thompson Company. Maury Holland papers 1948-1959 and undated
- J. Walter Thompson Company.
- 1.2 Linear Feet, 750 Items
- David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University
- For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.
Collection is open for research.
Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection.
In addition, all or portions of this collection may be housed off-site in Duke University's Library Service Center. There may be a 48-hour delay in obtaining these materials.
Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library to use this collection.
The copyright interests in this collection have not been transferred to Duke University. For more information, consult the copyright section of the Regulations and Procedures of the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library.
[Attention: Contains pictorial materials]
[Technical Services staff may need to reformat newsprint, coated fax paper, or other brittle paper.]
[Attention: Contains pictorial materials]
Includes scripts and memoranda regarding Kraft Mystery Theatre.
Includes scripts and memoranda regarding commericals for the Advertising Council.
The J. Walter Thompson Company (JWT) was founded in New York in 1864 and is one of the world's oldest and largest advertising firms.
Maury (C. Maurice) Holland was a vaudevillian and Broadway actor (1920s) who worked for Columbia in both silent films and talkie shorts (1930s) and then joined the JWT New York Office's Radio and Television Department in 1936 to direct radio shows for the agency. The Radio/TV Department was responsible for creating and working with radio and television programs to advertise JWT client products. Among other programs, Holland directed Kraft Television Theatre, a live anthology drama series on NBC, from 1948 to the show's cancellation in 1958. He died Nov. 14, 1974 in Greenwich, Conn.
- Holland, Maury
- Berle, Milton
- Gleason, Jackie, 1916-1987
- Masterson, Bat, 1853-1921
- J. Walter Thompson Company
- Walter Thompson Company. New York Office
- J. Walter Thompson Company. Radio and Television Department
- J. Walter Thompson Company. Chicago Office
- Kraft Foods Company
- Quaker Oats Company
- Advertising Council
- National Broadcasting Company, Inc.
- Jackie Gleason show(Television program)
- Price is right (Television program)
- Naked city (Television program)
- Kraft television theater (Television program)
- Advertising -- History
- Advertising executives -- United States
- Television advertising -- United States
- Television personalities -- United States
- Comedians -- United States
- Motion picture actors and actresses -- United States
- Television plays, American
- Television programs -- United States
- John W. Hartman Center for Sales, Advertising & Marketing History
[Identification of item], J. Walter Thompson Company. Maury Holland Papers, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University.
The J. Walter Thompson Company. Maury Holland Papers were received by the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library as a transfer in 1987.
Processed by Andrea Franzius and Ruth E. Bryan
Completed Nov. 26, 2003
Encoded by Andrea Franzius, Lynn Eaton, and Ruth E. Bryan
This finding aid is NCEAD compliant.
This collection is unprocessed: materials may not have been ordered and described beyond their original condition.