Guide to the John D. Shaw Scrapbook, 1930-1932
John D. Shaw was a 1932 graduate of Duke University where he played three seasons of varsity basketball. Scrapbook contains clipping and other assorted memorabilia documenting Duke basketball with the inclusive dates 1930-1932.
- Record Group
- John D. Shaw Scrapbook
- Shaw, John D.
- 1.24 Linear Feet, 1 Item
- David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library
- Material in English
Scrapbook contains material pertaining to the 1930-1931 and 1931-1932 seasons of the Duke University basketball team. Material present include clippings, a May 1931 issue of The Chronicle, and a December 1931 issue of Baloo, the student publication of the University of Baltimore that contains articles on the University's upcoming contest with Duke.
Access to the Collection
Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection.
All or portions of this collection may be housed off-site in Duke University's Library Service Center. The library may require up to 48 hours to retrieve these materials for research use.
Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the University Archives to use this collection.
Collection is open for research.
Use & Permissions
Copyright for Official University records is held by Duke University; all other copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
How to Cite
[Identification of item], John D. Shaw Scrapbook, Duke University Archives, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University.
John D. "Bub" Shaw, a native of Meriden, Connecticut, was a 1932 graduate of Duke University. He played three seasons of varsity basketball and was named captain his senior year. In addition, he won honorable mention on the All-Southern College team during his last two seasons and was rated by some experts as one of the five best guards in the South. After graduating Shaw returned to Meriden where he taught U.S. history, coached the school's baseball team, and became assistant basketball coach. Shaw passed away in Meriden on January 9, 2006.
- Athletics Reference Collection, 1888-2005 (University Archives/David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- Basketball records, 1906-[ongoing] (University Archives/David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- Sports Information Office records, 1932-1973 (University Archives/David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- University Archives Photograph Collection, 1861-[ongoing] (University Archives/David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
Click to find related materials at Duke University Libraries.
- Duke University -- Basketball -- History -- 20th century
- Duke University -- Sports
- Duke University -- Alumni and alumnae
- Shaw, John D.
The John D. Shaw Scrapbook were received by the University Archives as a gift in 2006.
Processed by Josh Larkin Rowley, May 2009
Encoded by Josh Larkin Rowley, May 2009
Accession UA2006-13 is described in this finding aid.