Preliminary Inventory of the Ian Young Correspondence on The Male Muse, 1972-1974
Letters (128 items, 1972-1974) to Young from prospective contributors to The Male Muse, including W.H. Auden, William Barber, Victor Borsa, Bruce Boone, Jim Eggeling, Allen Ginsberg, and others. Although the majority of the letters deal specifically with possible poems for inclusion into the anthology, many of the writers touch on their lives as gay men and their opinions of gay literature. The letters contain many original autographs. The collection also includes a copy of the published book.
- Ian Young Correspondence on The Male Muse, 1972-1974
- Young, Ian, 1945-
- .4 Linear Feet , 129 Items
- David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University
- For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.
Collection is open for research.
However, patrons must sign the Acknowledgment of Legal Responsibility and Privacy Rights form before using this collection.
Also, all or portions of this collection may be housed off-site in Duke University's Library Service Center. Consequently, there may be a 24-hour delay in obtaining these materials.
Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library to use this collection.
The copyright interests in this collection have not been transferred to Duke University. For more information, consult the copyright section of the Regulations and Procedures of the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library.
Ian Young was the editor of The Male Muse (The Crossing Press 1973). He also compiled The Male Homosexual in Literature: A Bibliography (1975, 1982).
- Young, Ian, 1945- .
- Young, Ian, 1945- . The male muse.
- Auden, W. H. (Wystan Hugh), 1907-1973.
- Boone, Bruce.
- Barber, William.
- Borsa, Victor.
- Eggeling, Jim.
- Ginsberg, Allen, 1926-
- Homosexuality-United States-Literary collections.
- Homosexuality-Great Britain-Literary collections.
- Gay men-Literary collections.
- American literature-20th century.
- English literature-20th Century.
- American literature-Male authors.
- English literature-Male authors.
- Gay men-Poetry.
- Gay men's writings, American.
- Gay men's writings, English.
- Gay men-United States-History-20th century.
- Gay men-Great Britain-History-20th century.
- Gay men-Great Britain-Social life and customs.
- Gay men-United States-Social life and customs.
- Gays-United States.
- Gays-Great Britain.
[Identification of item], Ian Young Correspondence on The Male Muse, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University.
The Ian Young Correspondence on The Male Muse was received by The David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library as a purchase in 2001.
Processed by Kate Crassons
Completed May 4, 2001
This collection is unprocessed: materials may have not been ordered and described beyond their original condition.
This finding aid is NCEAD compliant.