Duke University Libraries Guiding Principle on Diversity
Diversity strengthens us: We rely on diverse opinions, backgrounds, and experiences to make better decisions and to invigorate our organization. We are inclusive, supportive, and respectful, ensuring that multiple points of view are heard and understood. We seek to reflect the diversity of our patron communities in our services, collections, staff, and spaces. We build, maintain, and provide access to an international and multilingual collection, representing the broadest possible spectrum of cultures, ideas, and information.
Diversity: recognizing the value of the perspectives of community members of varying backgrounds and identities including, but not limited to, culture, race, ethnicity, gender, age, religion, language, abilities/disabilities, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, or geographic origin.
Equity: creating and supporting systems and behaviors that promote equality, fairness and justice.
Inclusion: creating an environment of equal access, belonging, respect, opportunity, and empowerment.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Council (DivE-In)
Charge: The Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Council (DivE-In) will strengthen relationships, skills, and analysis to promote constructive change within DUL. The Council will propose library-wide goals, devise strategies, make recommendations, and support education and training initiatives that address diversity, equity, and inclusion issues. Acknowledging that these issues are ever-evolving and that DUL are part of a much larger community, the Council will evaluate the Libraries’ strengths and challenges in these areas with the intention to further enhance diversity, equity, and inclusion. To be successful, this work must be collaborative and engage many different aspects and groups within DUL, demonstrating transparency. Recognizing that diversity initiatives must be embedded within the culture and practices of the Libraries to be truly transformational, the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Council will work in concert with the Executive Group, Library Human Resources, and appropriate departments and committees to meet its goals.
DivE-In Membership 2019-2020
- Jennifer Baker, Research Services Coordinator
- Sara Biondi, Order and Receipts Specialist for Japanese and Korean Language Materials
- Kimberly Burhop-Service, Director, Library Human Resources (Ex officio)
- Hugh Cayless, Digital Humanities Senior Programmer
- Jen Darragh, Senior Research Data Management Consultant
- Dracine Hodges, Associate University Librarian for Technical Services (Liaison to Executive Group)
- Mandy Hurt, Serials Description Coordinator
- Christina Manzella, Monographs Description Librarian
- Alex Marsh, Digitization Specialist
- Grey Reavis, R&D Project Coordinator
- Kelli Stephenson, Coordinator, Access and Library Services (chair)
- Mechi'EL Terrell, Interlibrary Loan Lending Assistant
Duke University Resources
- Duke's Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
- Duke Office for Institutional Equity
- Duke Campus Life Departments (Student-focused centers, including cultural, affinity, and religious centers)
- Duke Web Accessibility Guidelines
- Duke Disability Management System