Skip to main content

How a One-Room Schoolhouse Became a Research University

October 14, 2013 – February 16, 2014
Location: Perkins Gallery
Sponsor(s): University Archives

When a tiny schoolhouse in Randolph County, North Carolina opened in 1838, it launched an educational institution that grew to become today's Duke University. This exhibit traces the history of the institution as it transformed from Brown's Schoolhouse to Trinity College to Duke University, and moved from Randolph County to Durham.

This exhibition was sponsored in part by the E. Rhodes and Leona B. Carpenter Foundation.